How good is a good home theater?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by DavidHen, Jan 9, 2005.

1. DavidHen

DavidHen Auditioning

In my current home I have a fairly basic, entry level home theater. Decent B&W direct radiating speakers up front, dipole surrounds, and an HSU sub in a 5.1 setup. An older Denon surround sound receiver, a 32" Sony direct view TV (4:3), and a Zenith DVD player hooked with S-video rounds things out. The room is 14x19 with a short 7'2" ceiling. Sheetrock on the walls and drop ceiling.

In my new home, which is being built this spring, I will be putting a home theater in the basement. What can I expect from a new theater that is done right? In other words, I am looking for some idea of how much improvement in video, sound, and overall involvement and impact I will get from a new theater when viewing movies or sports.

The difference between the old and new will be quite dramatic and will be more in line with many of the theaters people on this forum build:
    - Full stage to hide front speakers and mount screen
    - Riser for second row of seating
    - large perforated projection screen
    - front projector capable of high def with 16:9 aspect ratio
    - progressive scan DVD player with component out to projector
    - Either DVI or HDMI to projector for high def broadcasts
    - 7.1 surround
    - Quality seating like berkline or lazyboy
    - Better acoustics with the use of sound isolation and mass in the walls, linacoustic, etc.
    - Other aesthetic improvement such as overall darker appearance (darker carpet and walls), nicer lighting scheme, columns to hide surround speakers, 8'4" ceiling height with sheetrocked ceiling, and better ventilation

I would love to hear from people who have made this jump and want to give me some idea of what to expect.
    Thanks
    Dave

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

You should expect great performance, you certainly have a good list of things. I would emphasize proper acoustical design (doesn't have to be expensive, you can DIY if you spend the proper time learning and understanding, but may be cheaper time-wise hiring a pro), and proper light control.

Your list also sounds fairly high-budget unless you are doing a lot of DIY work, etc. But you certainly are heading in the right direction, that's for sure!

3. DavidHen

DavidHen Auditioning

This is a complete DYI job from hanging the sheetrock to install the wiring. The room will have good light control, interior spot in the basement. I would love to hire a pro for the design but I cannot afford it. I am hoping to get enough information from the online forums to make the final product very good.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Indeed, this is what I have done (am still in the process of doing). For interior rooms make sure you have enough vents into and out of the room. I'm going to go back in and cut a large return vent in becaus my ventilation (with no windows) isn't quite enough.

Acoustics can be done fine DIY, just read in the builder forum, and read F Alton Everest's handbook of acoustics.

5. Krusty

Krusty Auditioning

Make sure you run wire for future upgrades, such as automated window treatments, bass shakers, lighting, etc.

Take the time now to learn about acoustics, before your walls get closed.