How good do DVD-R copies look on big screen (plasma) t.v.?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dick, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    How do copies made from satellite broadcasts to DVD-R discs from, say, TCM, look when shown on screens of 50" or more? I'm talking about self-made copies using a Panasonic DMR or a Phillips DVD recorder at standard play speed (2 hours).

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

The copies should look as good as the original broadcast, provided everything's working as it should.

3. Eric-S

Eric-S Stunt Coordinator

They should look very good. The DVD recorder does have to re-encode the analog signal, so there may be some digital artifacts if you look close enough. Even at the XP speed, (1 hour) I find some artifacts around some text that were not in the source. (I use the DMR-HS2)

But to put it all in perspective, the XP and SP modes look great! I can't think of a better recording medium for home use.

Eric

4. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    What I find is that, when people and objects are motionless, I get a crystal-sharp image and, indeed, it does look as good as the original. However, when the camera pans vertically or horizontally, or theere is other motion on screen, I lose edge definition - a sort of soft blur effect. Is there no way to eliminate or minimize this?

5. Michael St. Clair

I've done a bit of this.

It depends on the source. If the source is noisy, or full of artifacts due to overcompression, even XP (1-hour) mode can look notably worse than the broadcast.

If the source is extremely clean, SP (2-hour) mode can look very close to the broadcast, and XP may be nearly indistingishable from the original broadcast.

Of course, it partially depends on how critical of an eye you have...we are not all the same.