What's new

How Good Are Your Powers of Observation? (1 Viewer)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
All of the original cards were removed and replaced with 4 similar cards (8 of diamonds -> 8 of hearts, etc.). This fools your brain into thinking that Simon guessed your selected card...

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Greg, thanks for explaining the card trick. I was beginning to feel spooked :b

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Im an amateur magician, and although this concept seems pretty simple to spot, a great number of card tricks rely on this very technique. Takes balls to try it with a live audience, (because it seems SOOOO SIMPLE) but I've yet to have someone (who doesn't have the luxury of a "back button" on their brain) burn such a trick...

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
Greg-R:

I've tried going first on the gemstone game, and it still keeps beating me. Did you actually beat this game, or just telling me how it beat me?

I've tried leaving him with the numbers you listed, but it seems like he's always leaving me with the next one down!

Matt

Benny G

Second Unit
Matt: I just beat the gemstone game, so it is possible. ;)

The way I look at it is...the key to winning is be sure YOU are the one that gets it down to 13 gemstones. On your next turn, get it down to 9, and you're all set.

victor_vc

Auditioning
I will elaborate a little more than Greg, in case someone is still in doubt. we want Simeon to have 1 left to make him lose. Suppose we are left with 2, 3, or 4 stones left. Then take away 1, 2, or 3 stones, respectively to leave Simon with just 1 stone. In other words, we win the game if we have 2, 3, or 4 stones left. If we are left with 5, then we lose, since any choice we make will leave Simon with 2, 3, or 4 stones left.

So now the objective is to force Simeon to be left with 5 stones. Similar to the above argument, we can force Simeon to lose if Simeon was left with 5+4=9 stones earlier. Continuing this argument, it's not too hard to see that we can always force Simeon to lose if Simeon is left with 1, 5, 9, 13, 17, or 21 stones (remainder of 1 when divided by 4).

So when the game starts with 23, just take two and leave Simeon with 21 stones. Then always take away appropriate number of stones so that Simeon will be left with the appropriate number of stones. For example, if he takes away 3, we then take away 1. So the net change is always 4, without changing the number's remainder when dividing by 4 (This also explains why Simeon wins if he starts).

Matt Gordon

Supporting Actor
victor_vc:

The last paragraph in your explaination nailed it for me. Thanks!

Beat it twice in a row!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks