How good are these Multi Region DVD players? And this JVC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ric Easton, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

Feb 6, 2001
    I found both of these on ebay. I was wondering if you folks knew anything about them? Are they any good? What happens when you convert PAL to NTSC? How is the quality?
    One is from Sampo, it's right here
    And the other ios a Daewoo DVD 5800 and that one is right here.
    On another topic...
    I just bought a 7 disc JVC JVC XV-F85GD for 279.00 at Circuit City. I wanted it to also replace my antiquated CD carousel player. While I am fairly happy with it, I was disappointed that it will only play in Random mode on the CD that is currently loaded and not all 7. Does anyone know if the bumped up XV-FA95GD has the same restrictions?
  2. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Dec 16, 2001
    I have a Sampo DVE-611 and at first I was very happy with it. When it was 2 months old it started to skip and freeze at random during movies. No real pattern to it. Play the same movie again the next day and it would play fine. Interestingly older DVD's still play fine in this machine but anything new causes problems. $140 is a bit much for this machine. I only paid $89 for mine. I replaced it with a Panasonic model and other then slow layer changes it works good.

A friend of mine picked up a KLH DVD player at Costco for $79. As far as stability this player works just fine. Picture is very good. Not sure about long term reliability (only about 3 days old) but so far so good.