How Good are the Star Wars spinoff movies like Droids?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Tony_Ramos, Mar 22, 2005.

1. Tony_Ramos

Tony_Ramos Second Unit

Just wondering... anything interesting?

2. Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan Supporting Actor

Haven't seen Droids, but I'm sure you've heard a thing or two about the Clone Wars short films, and if you haven't seen them yet, I highly recommend them. They are very fun, if a bit silly. The DVD was just released yesterday morning, in fact, and I hear it's a terrific disc.

The old Ewoks made-for-tv movies are cheesy but alright for kiddies; I wouldn't recommend them for 12+ (and they are a tad violent for -8, so the audience is pretty limited for those flicks).

3. Hans M.

Hans M. Stunt Coordinator

Well, Droids isn't as much a movie as it is a Saturday morning cartoon show... well, it's exactly a Saturday morning cartoon show. There is also an Ewoks cartoon DVD. I remember these shows being on TV when I was 14 years old. I had no interest in them then and I have no interest in them now. I was like 10 and 11 when the Ewoks TV movies aired. I liked them then, but I have no interest in checking them out again now.

4. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

The Ewok movies are still a real treat, if you're still in touch with your inner child (being a fan like myself who goes against the fan grain by preferring ROTJ to TESB helps). The print on the DVD was astonishingly clean and crisp, as well, so I recommend those wholeheartedly. I had no taste whatsoever for the DROIDS or EWOKS cartoons, however.

5. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

The Ewok movies have a very high cheese factor. Let's put it this way-- people complained about Jedi being "too cute" because of the Ewoks. Now add a lost little girl. If you have young kids who like Star Wars, these are good buys (and cheap). They're also good for the medium-to-high fans of the movies. I personally don't think they are too violent for young ones, but I'll admit that I'm somewhat liberal about that. They're less violent than the movies themselves. The disks look and sound very good, considering that they are 20 year old TV movies.

The Droids cartoon is better (IMO). My boys like it better than the Ewok movies. No parental guidance concerns here. Fans will enjoy the (non)-continuity issues vs. the prequel trilogy.

I haven't seen the Ewoks cartoon, and to be honest, I'm not interested in it.

I'll definitely be picking up the Clone Wars disk. I saw about half of the 3 minute episodes. Very cool animation (think Powerpuff Girls/ Samuri Jack).

6. CaseyL

CaseyL Supporting Actor

better than the christmas special

7. DavidBL

DavidBL Stunt Coordinator

...which, in the food world, is equivalent to saying that eating (insert any food here) is better than eating shards of broken glass coated with toxic waste...

8. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I don't know about Droids, but the short Troops (a Cops parody set on Tatooine) is a hoot. It was in the first issue of an HT-mag-on-DVD that came out a few years ago. I've long since fogotten the name, but I still have the disc -- somewhere. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

9. Tony_Ramos

Tony_Ramos Second Unit

Clone Wars DVD was awesome! That's why I want to know about these DVD's.

Two Questions:

1.) Do the Droids & Ewoks DVDs contain all the episodes that were produced?

2.) Joseph Demartino: find out what DVD that was and how I can get it ! [​IMG]

10. DaveRU

DaveRU Stunt Coordinator

Those Droids and Ewoks DVDs don't contain even half the episodes. You only get 8 out of 13 episodes for Droids and it doesn't even include the quite good "Great Heep" special. As for Ewoks I'm not sure, but there are 35 stories altogether, and you only get a small percentage of those.
    The original themes have been removed and they are edited together as movies [​IMG]

Just glad I have DVD-R copies of the entire series [​IMG]

11. Joel...Lane

Joel...Lane Second Unit

I had that subscription also. I think it was called Total Movie DVD. Each issue came with a DVD crammed full of trailers and short films. I still have all the discs and the one with Troops on it. Great little parody.

" Now if I go over to that Sandcrawler over there, is your cousin going to have a bill of sale for those droids?"

" I tell ya, I'm gonna shoot em all. Yep, right there with ya."

[​IMG]

12. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    Avoid the Ewoks and Droids compilation movies (the animated ones)at all costs, because the original scores (by Taj Majal and Stewart Copeland respectively) have been replaced by cheesy new-agey sounding garbage. Destroys the entire experience.

13. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I have the Troops disc that came with the premiere of Total Movie. There is a copy for sale on eBay right now, and that's where I got mine a couple of years ago. I imagine it's offered fairly regularly.

(Though, looking at the one available right now, I'm not sure that the guy didn't just run off a copy from the original Total Movie disc)