How good are the component cables used by Time Warner

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Doug J, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Doug J

Doug J Auditioning

I just had my HD cable hooked up last night. They hooked up the HD cable box and used one of their own component cables to connect it to my toshiba rptv. The picture looks nice, but I'm wondering if the cables they supply are any good? Or would I be better off getting my own set of component cables?

On a side note, and this may be a really stupid question, but is there a cable in existence that I can use for digital audio with a coaxial connection on one end and an optical connection on the other? I have a feeling the answer is no because of the fiber optics.

thanks in advance

2. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Stunt Coordinator

Doug,

I don't know specifically about Time Warner, BUT the ones Comcast were going to give me were actually pretty good qualitly. Your best bet, if you are curious, is to find a place that will let you audition a set of cables, hook them up and see if there is a difference. If not, take 'em back and use the ones that Time Warner gave you.

As for a coax to optical cable, there is no such CABLE that I know of. There are converter boxes, but I have no idea how good they are. Radio Shack has one like this http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=15-1228

3. Doug J

Doug J Auditioning

I have a set of component cables that I'm using for my dvd player that I know are good quality, so I'll just use them to compare against.

And thanks for the info on the radio shack converter. I didn't know such a thing existed, but for $15 I'll give it a shot. Thanks!