What's new

How good are PSB Alpha series speakers? (1 Viewer)

Martice

Screenwriter
The PSB Alpha's were my first HT speakers and to this day I continue to suggest them as speakers for the HT lover who's looking for a great speaker at a low price. As far as the comparison to the Image series, I am not familiar with that series of speaker but depending on what the rest of your system looks like and what you plan to spend, we should be able to figure out which would be the wises road to take regarding your purchase. Obviously your ears should be the final judge on the matter though.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
They are great speakers. I'll tell you a very short story. I owned Boston Acoustics A70 II's for 12 years and finally wanted something more. I had already decided on the PSB Alpha's because of their excellent ratings. I went to listen to them and asked to hear something else for comparison. I compared them to the Paradigm Mites or Atoms I think they were called. Then I listened to PSB Image 1B's and Paradigm Titans. Finally I listened to a pair of PSB Image 2B's. After listening, I went home and did some research on subwoofers. In the summer, I bought a big subwoofer to use with my Bostons while I began listening/shopping for speakers to replace the Bostons. I ended up not only upgrading from the PSB Alpha's to the PSB Image line, but I ended up getting the 6T's and I love them to this day.

I liked the PSB Alpha's, but I love the PSB Image speakers. Go and listen. Only you will know for sure.

I had a pair of Alpha A/Vs (PSB has since upgraded the Alpha line to use shared components in the vein of the Image Series). It really depends on your budget, as I loved the sound from my Alphas. They definitely lacked a bit of low end, but that's what subwoofers are for. The Image line sounds better (I have the 4Ts now), and if they used the same philosophy in the designing of the new Alpha line, they must be doing something right. Go with what fits your budget.

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
Alphas are my favorite entry level bookshelf. I just recently moved mine to a buddy's HT because I got married and was running out of room. I wanted to keep them SO bad...but I couldn't pull it off. :frowning:

Ryan Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks! Does anyone have any complaints about them? I've hear the A/V's are good but it seems that the stores around here where I live don't carry the A/V's and Mini's anymore.

What do you suggest would be a good alternative for the A/V's for movies and music? Would it be the Mite, the Alpha B, or something else?

Adam_Smith

Auditioning
I recently began purchasing my image system. After listening to every speaker from both the image and alpha series I can say with conviction that the iamge speakers, especialy the 4t's and up have much more richness, especially in the low end than tha alphas. If price is an issue though the alpahs are excellent speakers.

Ryan Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I just listened to the Image 2B. They do sound so much better in every way. Does everyone here agree?

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
I actually have the Alpha T's for the front, the Alpha B's for rear, the Alpha C for the center, and the SubSonic 5 sub.

For my first HT this setup works great. I could hear the difference between the Image 4t and the Alpha T, but it wasn't enough of a difference for the price. I had a budget and these speakers gave me a lot for the sound that I got.

I love the setup and would look to PSB the next time I need to upgrade.

Robert_Dufresne

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan take a look at Paradigm.

I have both PSB and Paradigm. If you like Psb

I think you will like Paradigm too.

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks