What's new

How good are Marantz? (1 Viewer)

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
I thought they were a pretty good brand, but now i hear so much bad stuff about them...
I just purchased a Marantz set (here) and a Teac CD Player.
What do you guys think? I know it isn't exactly a great setup, but is it worth it for the money?
Total cost is $190, so i got it cheaper than an Aiwa/Sony/etc system, with (hopefully!) better sound!
Thanks! :)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
What were your goals when you bought this setup? True home theater surround sound?
This system won't do that.
The Dolby the seller refers to is likely Dolby noise reduction on the tape deck.
This isn't a modern set, so forget the processor, DAC, remote and subwoofer out I mentioned in the other post. Also, I don't know much about this type of Marantz equip, but Marantz has a stellar rep when it comes to their modern amps and recs, as well as the vintage stuff from the 60's through the late 70's. I just never hear about the mid-80's stuff like this.
I don't think it was a bargain, sorry....:frowning:

Robert Ma

Second Unit
You do not want to know about their mid level 80's stuff. There isn't much good to say, sorry.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys.
Is it true that Marantz now is just rebadged Philips? If so then it looks like a VERY bad deal! :frowning:
That's the problem with ebay... they never let you dig up something on stuff you want to buy!
BTW, i'm not looking for HT right now... Just plain old stereo with somewhat good music.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
True, Marantz is now owned by Philips.

The stuff you bid on was made by the original U.S. Marantz. They were on their downward skid though.

The new Philips stuff is what has brought Marantz back up again.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Doubtful it was the "original" Marantz. Here's a breakdown on the company's storied history:

In the late 1940s, there were but two gods of audio: McIntosh and Marantz. Throughout the '50s, Marantz was under the control of founder and tweako extraordinaire, Saul Marantz. In those days, Marantz hand-produced audio electronics that would come to assume legendary status: the Model 7 tube preamplifier, the Model 9 mono tube amplifier, the Model 10 FM tuner.

But in 1963, Marantz was sold to Superscope in Japan (the original distributors of Sony's products in the U.S.). The company's products became fractured at this time: its high-end electronics (power amps, preamps, and even a straight-line-tracking turntable) were still produced here in the U.S., by hand. However, the company began distributing mass-produced, low-priced, made-in-Japan receivers and speakers with the Marantz name on the faceplates--hoping to trade on the Marantz reputation for quality.

By the late 1970s, the company was indistinguishable from Pioneer, Kenwood, Sansui, and the other Japanese giants.

Eventually the Marantz name went into hibernation. Then Philips bought the rights to the Marantz name in the 1980s. In an effort to restore the moniker's reputation for high-end excellence, Philips even produced modern-day replicants of the legendary Model 7 tube preamp and Model 8 tube stereo amp; the high-end audio craze was still at its height in the late '80s.

Now the company is a fullfledged producer of home-theater products, making everything from RPTVs and front projectors to DVD players and truly great AV receivers. It's not the "same" Marantz of yore (in much the same way as today's Triumph motorcycles aren't the "same" as the Triumph of the 1960s), but the company has successfully regained its reputation for excellence and quality.

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Thanks guys, this was excellent.

I'll be telling the guy i'm not buying it and sending him the auction costs.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
To add a new twist, Marantz and Denon have just announced they will merge by mid-year under the name D&M Holdings. Both Marantz and Denon will become wholly owned subsidiaries.

Philips will have 14.7% ownership and Ripplewood Holdings (majority shareholder of Denon) will have 68.7% ownership.

Products will continue to be manufactured under the Marantz and Denon brand names, though.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks