How good are Krispy Kreme Doughnuts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronNWilson, May 7, 2002.

1. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

I was looking at their donut varieties on their website and my mouth was watering. I think their Glazed Raspberry filled looks awesome. Are these things as good as they look?

2. Wayne Murphy

Wayne Murphy Stunt Coordinator

Im not that impressed with them. A lot of my friends think they are gods gift to humans though.

3. Johnny wilson

Johnny wilson Stunt Coordinator

My wife thinks there better than an orgasm[​IMG]

4. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

They have to be eaten within 10-15 minutes of emergence from the oven. Otherwise, they're only a little better than Brand X donuts.

5. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

A fresh batch of glazed, chocolate covered glazed, and glazed devel's food cake from Krispy Kreme is the Shizz-nitt. If you like unhealthy snacks that is [​IMG]

6. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

Indeed -- while room temperature plain glazed Krispy Kremes are still plenty OK (though the sugar glaze may make your fillings hurt and the deep-fried interior may make your chest hurt....[​IMG]), the only way to truly understand why so many people go apeshit over them is to hover around the store like a vulture until some freshly-fried ones emerge from the oil and get doused by the continuously-running "waterfall" of sugar glaze. If you then buy one (or twelve), you'll get an idea what all the fuss is about.
    The other varieties are fine to varying degrees, though I've never been around when they're freshly-made (only the original plain glazed ones seem to need constant replenishing of stocks throughout the day).

7. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

A cooled Krispy Kreme glazed doughnut is still awesome. They're awesome when they're hot, they're awesome when the glaze has congealed to a sticky consistency, and they're awesome when the glaze has dried to a white icing that tends to flake off. A Krispy Kreme glazed is awesome up until the doughnut itself starts to become hard and dry. And then it's still pretty damn good for a day-old doughnut.

8. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

I've only tried the Boxed Donuts available in the supermarket. They Suck!

9. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

You haven't had doughnuts until you've had one right inside their bakery at 6am after an all-nighter...[​IMG]

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Aaron asked:

11. Martin G

Martin G Second Unit

The glazed ones are great, but I really was very unimpressed by their other varieties.

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    But what makes them any different than any other donut if you could get them fresh out of an oven??? I mean, are they any better than if I opened up a donut shop and made donuts to order?

I've seen Krispy Kremes in grocery stores in Maryland and Delaware but not in NJ nor have I seen any store here and I too, wonder what's the big deal..

Jay

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

You have to find them HOT at their normal chain stores and you'll know what others are raving about. Love the glazed doughnuts when the "HOT DOUGHNUTS NOW" sign is lit up in their window!

14. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Man, it seems every week that a new KK thread is started. Not that I mind, though. [​IMG]
    Outside of the glazed donuts, which absolutely must be eaten hot, the only other variety that I like are the chocolate frosted kreme filled. [​IMG]

15. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

It seems like most of the hype comes from people who live where Krispy Kreme's have just opened. I grew up in places where they were common and just don't get what all the fuss is about. Now that I live in Buffalo, I swear by Tim Horton's.

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Ah...the Bavarian cream filled chocolate covered doughnuts are also excellent!

17. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

At first, I thought ho-hum, but after I tasted my first one out of the oven, well, let's just say that I didn't stop at one. They're really good when you get them fresh.

18. BrettB

BrettB Producer

19. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Liquid Crack glazing.

Jeff

20. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

What Wayne said.[​IMG]