What's new

How good are Image Dynamics Auto subwoofers? (1 Viewer)

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I need a sub for the car and it looks like the Image Dynamics IDQ V2 series is reportedly a good performer. I of course know next to nothing about car audio.

The IDQ has the advantage of working in a small enclosure. I am considering using dual 10" or a single 12" probably in a sealed enclosure. I want good sound quality with acoustic and rock but also some solid bass punch when I throw in say a Shaggy CD. No one note boomers in distortion city. Two IDQ10's are a bit pricey but if they will sound better than a 12" in a sealed box, then I could do a single 10" now and add the 2nd later (if necessary). Location will be in the trunk.

Looking at the Image website the 12" in a sealed box seamed to roll off the highs a bit too early for a seamless blend to 5" mid woofers but perhaps not a problem in the car environment??

One of the better performers I have found for the home is Hsu subs. Anyone know what to expect from Image and how it might compare to the Hsu as a reference?

TIA

KyleGS

Second Unit
I've run ID for about 4yrs now. One thing the website doesn't tell you is how well they sound ported. I HIGHLY suggest trying a v.2 12" ported (1.35cf net or 1.5cf gross, tuned to 29-30 hz...3in tube 12in long.) This sounds MUCH better than the sealed IDQ's I have used. Two tens would sound good and punchy not not real bottom dwellers. I would go with the 12" either way. If you go sealed try .95-1cf. Email me if you want more info on the IDQ's.

Andy Hardin

Stunt Coordinator
Kyle seemed to have a good answer.

Without actually hearing them with my own ears, everything I have heard about IDQ is that they are a *great* driver for the money.

That is worth something as well. Don't think you can go wrong with them but that's just my non-firsthand-experience opinion.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I HIGHLY suggest trying a v.2 12" ported (1.35cf net or 1.5cf gross, tuned to 29-30 hz...3in tube 12in long.) This sounds MUCH better than the sealed IDQ's I have used.
Is this in the auto environment or home?
I was thinking to go with one IDQ12 in a 1cf sealed (recommended by Image) pre-made box. How would this differ with your ported alignment in the car environment (ie trunk) besides more SPL output?

MikeAcc

Agent
Gil,

ID makes very nice subs. I have heard dual 10's in an extended cab Chevy, very tight, they got very loud as well. The SQ is top notch.

I would also consider the Soundstream Exact, Adire Shiva, or Crystal CMP(if you can find a good deal on it).

If you are interested in a SS Exact, drop me an e-mail, I have two, I only ended up using 1.

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
Have you thought about stepping up a model? The IDMAX (it's a 12")is an excellent sub. Almost double the displacement of the IDQ (like 90% more), and excellent sound quality. Just don't think that because it looks like an SPL only sub, that it does not sound good. Hell, the Adire Brahma is at the top of the subwoofer SQ charts.

But then again, you might not want to pay $350 for a single 12" sub....

Jeff Mills

Stunt Coordinator
I used Image Dynamic speakers. They are unbeleivable value. Cant be beat in my opinion.

www3.sympatico.ca/jeff.mills for pics

KyleGS

Second Unit
I've run the .95cf sealed also. The ported box was obviously much louder. The output was more than 3db higher. The low end (20-30hz) was much more pronounced while the 45-55hz region was attenuated in the ported design. The overall SQ of the sealed was better with rock, most rap, country etc. The ported design sounded better with low bass songs, bassy rap, techno, dance etc. The sealed will blend better with car audio mains IMO (5.25's and 6.5's). So its up to personally preference. Hope this helps.

Jay_H

Auditioning

Interesting. My second home sub was a pair of IDQ-12s (1st gen single-coil) that I used in a 4.5 ft^3 enclosure tuned to 22 Hz. (The first was twin Blaupunkt Velocity 12's in a sealed box of 5 ft^3. Back then there were very few subs for home use. We're talking pre-Shiva/Tempest/Lambda/Titanic here. The closest was the poly NHT1259.) They did work very well, especially since I used an 18dB/oct high-pass at 25Hz to keep them from damage. (The F3 of the enclosure was in the low 20s.) I got rid of them first because I needed a smaller, differently shaped box (ended up with a single JL 15W6 in a 3 ft^3 box, and then because I got better 12" woofers (DEI CS4124).

Those IDQ-12's, BTW are for sale if anyone's interested.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Gil,
I've been looking to upgrade my car sub. Currently, Edesigns has a new 2003 e12k sub coming out soon...mid December or a bit afterwards. It's on special right now US$115 plus shipping (12" e12k, dual 2 or dual 4 ohm).
More info here:
http://forum.soundillusions.net/foru...php?forumid=20
See my post asking a comparison between the Beyond Audio X-One 12" vs. the Elemental e12k. Too bad that the brokerage fees for Canadian orders makes it difficult to buy. Otherwise, I would have jumped on the deal. Might have to get the e12k from a Canadian distributor instead.
The e12k seems to model well in a sealed 0.75 cu.ft. enclosure. F3 is about 47 Hz. Qtc = 0.80.
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks