How Good are DVD Players that Upconvert

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Dave Scarpa, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I was walking around Best Buy today and although I really do not need a new DVD Player I was just looking. I notice the players that upconvert regular DVD Outputs to 720p or 1080i are around $250 or so. Now I do not have a DVI input on my Mits Hi Def Set so i think I'm out of luck using one of these anyhow but I'm just wondering how much of a difference it makes?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Im not too familiar with upconverting players, but wouldn't they pass that through component as well? Not just DVI? I'm not sure, but I don't see why they wouldn't.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

4. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

What we need is someone to come out with a DVI/component cable for all us that don't have DVI on the back of the set.

Kevin

5. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

6. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

Actually yes, you can upconvert to 720p/1080i via component...there are just very few players that will do it now.

One is the Lite-On LVD-2001...runs around $140. It has a few minor quirks that can mostly be fixed with firmware upgrades (posted on the company's website).

Most will agree the picture is fantastic. This player will also play just about anything you can burn to a cd or dvd (divx, mpeg4, vcd, etc.)

I believe the model made by Kiss will also do the same.

The Bravo offers DVI upconversion for those with a need for it, but will not upconvert via it's component outputs.

Hope this helps.

If you want more info, I agree with greg_t head over to avsforum.com and do a search or go to the dvd players section.

7. Amir_S

Amir_S Auditioning

My samsung HD-931 upconverts to 1080i, and to be honest there is a definite difference in pq

8. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

My goal for early 2004 is to pair the Samsung 50" DLP RPTV with the Sammy HD931.

This is a killer combo since the TV is 720p native DLP with DVI input and the player upconverts DVD to either 480p, 720p or 1080i. I've not seen the combo together but several reviews indicate it's simply stunning.

There is however, one MAJOR caveat here ... Note that when passing an upconverted signal through DVI, it will be encoded with Hi-Def Copy Protection (HDCP) scheme. Most projectors don't have HDCP decoders and thus won't pass the image. Of course, the Sammy RP sets will be fine.

Scott

9. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

10. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

My Momitsu DVD player has been delivering 1080i through Component to my NEC LT240K projector for the past month and a half. The ONLY issue I've had is a lip synch problem with DD 2.0 material. Aside from that, this DVD player is a dream come true!

I plan on using DVI-VGA in the future since the Momitsu can pass a DVI-I signal to VGA. You can send the displays native resolution through the DVI custom settings menu.

I've just been so happy with 1080i through Component that I haven't bothered. [​IMG]

11. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Thanks for the input Michael. (hahah... get it? input? hahhah!)

What type of DVI output is it on the DVD player? Male or female? The reason I ask is, well, we've got some monitors here at work that came with DVI cables... and since we don't use DVI here at the office... well, you can figure out the rest. Except, these cables are male on both ends and I was wondering if the DVI out on the DVD players are female.