1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How good are DLPs??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by 99monguse, Jan 21, 2010.

1. 99monguse

99monguse Agent

brian
    I have been tossing around the idea of upgrading my Panny 53" 1080i widescreen but I can't make up my mind if I want a Plasma, LCD and/or DLP!

Obviously, for me, the LCD probably wouldn't be a good choice since we do A LOT of XBOX 360/PS3 gaming; so, the plasma or DLPs would probably be better. When I look at the DLPs at the stores though, they don't look as colorful/bright as say plasma. I currently have a rear-projection TV and although its been a great set...it doesn't have the brightness that really shows off a video game's beautiful graphics. A rear-projection set seems to me to be much darker/mirkier than the plasmas/LCDs.

How are these DLPs though? I have been reading a lot of reviews that say the DLPs require a lot of repair. Some of the reviews claim that they have had multiple repairs at $300-$400.00 a wack, heck...thats almost the cost of the TV.

2. Craig

Craig Second Unit

A 50" or larger 1080P plasma would be my choice. I have a 56" Samsung 1080P DLP in my basement home theater, and it's a very nice tv with a great picture. However, my 50" Panasonic 720P plasma in the family room has a more even picture (light output is more consistent from edge to edge). DLPs are generally pretty bright btw, but you have to be level with the center of the screen.

I bought the Samsung about 2 1/2 years ago, if I were buying a tv for my home theater today I'd go with a 58" 1080P plasma. Just my opinion, but it's hard to beat the picture of good plasma.

3. Jimmy Reece

Jimmy Reece Auditioning

Hello...I have a 61" Sammy DLP which I have owned for over 7 years now. I love it today just as much as I did the day I plugged it in!
    I was going to upgrade to an even larger one about 18 months ago, when they suddenly stopped displaying them at Best Buy. I have not seen Samsung DLP's in there since. I would not consider a different brand after comparing the 1st go around when I purchased this set.
    Not sure what happened but I have never had a moments trouble with my unit.
    I am now contemplating either an LCD or LED for another room (46" cabinet space), but I will remain loyal to my DLP for my best viewing.
    Just my opinion,. but hope it helps-
    Jimmy

4. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Douglas Monce
    I'm not sure that this would be the better choice, as plasma screens are more susceptible to burn in than LCD screens. Video games have a tendency to have things like score and other information that sits in the same place for hours. Not good for plasmas, although I hear they are getting better in this regard.

LCDs aren't affected by burn in at all, which is one reason they are used for computer monitors. They can however get something called a stuck pixel, which more often than not can be repaired with the use of a special program that rapidly flashes various colors on the screen.

Doug

5. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I have had 2 DLP projectors over about 6 years and a DLP Mitsubishi 62" rear projection for over a year now. No repairs on any of them. I like the picture quality, but I have never owned a LCD or plasma.

6. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    I have a Samsung LED DLP and love it. I got one of their last ones I think. The only company making rear projection DLPs now is Mitsubishi. Theirs still has the bulb to change every 3-4 yrs., depending on how much you use your tv. I've had mine less than a year so far. It gets used a lot. The picture is nice and bright, and has more of a film look to it, than a plasma or LCD. Plasmas and a lot of LCDs have screens that reflect too much for me. That's why I went with DLP, and am glad I did. With DLP you can get a bigger screen size for the money. To me, that's a better home theater experience.
    Good luck!

7. captainjoe

captainjoe Stunt Coordinator

Sam
    I've had a Toshiba 56' 1080i DLP for about 5 years now and a 37' Sharp 1080p LCD for 3 years. I've always found that the DLP gives the "truest" image and reflects exactly what I'd want from a blu-ray, that being a very film-like image that's faithful to the movie. With my LCD I've always found that, while the image looks great, it doesn't show the fine details like film grain and such, as well. It's also a lot harder to detect noise reduction on the LCD compared to the DLP which is even more proof to me that the DLP is giving me the most detail

8. ralphPerez

ralphPerez Stunt Coordinator

Have a sammy DLP and every one in the house likes it, to me is almost as good or better then a plasma it has excellent picture and the blacks are great also have a PJ, would considered a LED these day's with at least 120HZ thats my opinion only. The Dlp bulb last about 8,000 hours and it cost me $125 and picked it up at a tv shop and it was easy to install and now the tv looks new.

HOME THEATER ROOM
    Sanyo PLV-Z2000
    Carada 100" 16:9 Screen
    Direct Tv HD Box
    Play Station 3
    Tosh HD-DVD A1
    Oppo V9971H DVD Player
    Panamax Max5100 Surge Protector
    Onkyo-SR705
    Polk Front L/R Rt800i
    Polk Center CS 400i
    Polk Surround Sides L/R FX500i
    Polk Surround Back Rears L/R FX50i
    SVS 20-39Pci-Sub

FAMILY ROOM

Samsung DLP HLP5685
    Samsung HD SIR-T360 DTV
    WII
    Toshiba SD-V592
    LG DVT418 HTIB

9. Brian Serene

Brian Serene Stunt Coordinator

Brian Serene
    What you heard about the frquency and cost of repairs on DLP RPTVs is true. The repair rate for DLP rear projectors is about 7 or 8 times as frequent as the repair rate for LCDs and Plasma.

Then there is the issue of bulb replacement. This can be needed in as little as 2,500 hours.

DLP may have an advantage with regard to screen reflectivity, especially as compared to plasma.

Even so, I would first consider plasma. Second, LCD. Third, anything else. You may even come across Sony SXRD. Those had a high rate of failure of the light engine.