What's new

how fragile is an RPTV? (1 Viewer)

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator
I own a Sony 46" HDTV. I just moved houses and in packing up the set, the shelf that housed the center channel slipped off and banged into the back of the set. The speaker was not on the shelf, and the shelf just slipped off and hit the back of the set (glanced). I turned the set on and everything looks fine, and I also checked the convergence and it looks fine...but I was just wondering in general how resilient these things are. Could this bang have any long-term damage that I cannot notice today, or am I just being hyper-paranoid?

Thanks.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Rob Michaw says:
RP's are pretty sturdy and from your account there appears to be no damage. The only exception would be if it loosened the mirror, but being that it did not affect convergence chances are low that it did.

You should be fine.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've had the exact same thing happen several times with a couple of rptvs, once bounced a rather heavy old vcr off the back slope of an Hitachi rptv. Never had any damage.

If you mirror were loose or the least bit displaced by your accident you would definitely have very noticeable convergence problems. The absence of these is a pretty good indication that you're set is undamaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gbenito