What's new

how fast does grass grow? (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

A type of 'hover' mower hugely popular in the UK. In a conventional mower, the cutting blades are at the front and in effect the cut grass is fed back into a hopper. With a hover mower, there is a large circular blade that lies underneath a protective top and hovers over the ground, cutting away any grass that reaches as high as the blade is set. Early models of hover mowers didn't collect the cuttings, but the recent ones do. For relatively small gardens (i.e. where you push a mower round rather than have a mower that you ride) I'd say a hover mower is definitely better.

Julie K

Screenwriter
That sounds a bit like my gas powered push mower except that it's got a straight blade that spins. It also collects the cuttings.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
but your gas mower doesn't hover :D
The flymo would be ideal for my little yard, but the rat bastards only sell them in europe. They draw enoug amperage that I would need a VERY expensive transformer to make it work on 120, or I could pull a 230 circuit.. blech.

Anyway, www.flymo.com julie.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Ah, so that's what they're like. I was having a hard time picturing it. I agree, it looks ideal for a small yard.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I ordered Fajitas in Mexico one time and that is what they brought me. Was really chewy :)

Speaking of grass, there are a few types and that will determine how fast it will grow(atleast to my understanding). I have some bermuda that is pretty slow to grow but I used some seed for another type(name forgets me), and it's growing like crazy.

I think the type of seed you lay will determine how fast it will grow(it seems).

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Try Scott's Patchmaster - works very well for such a small area and it really fills in nicely. When we bought our first house, we had to have the septic tank dug up in late October. Destroyed a HUGE tract of the back yard. Patchmaster and 2xday watering had the grass come out in a week, even in the frosts of November.

Good Luck

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Well, it took almost 2 weeks, but it's been mid 80's and 3x a day watering isn't keeping it moist 24x7, maybe I should have thrown some straw down.
Now I've got a nice solid covering of green fuzz coming up. It's kind of funny, one day nothing, next day FUZZ EVERYWHERE! You have to look really close, but once you see it you can tell it's coating the yard pretty nicely
I've got some low spots that will need to be filled in and reseeded, I might try that patchmaster stuff

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Try to use the same seed as for the rest of the lawn - the patching stuff is good, but there's a possibility that it'll be a different colour.

David Brown Eyes

Second Unit
Since I am also a resident of Colorado, I am looking into that special buffalo grass. Who ever thought kentucky blue grass was a good idea out here needs to be hung by his or her toe nails.

Looking at replacing the back yard with boulders and prarrie grasses, that new buffalo grass in the front. Lavender bushes for color.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member

Actually too much seed can be a problem as the seedlings will compete for the resources (nutrients and water) and you might end up with lower growth then if you'd planted fewer seeds

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
pretty interesting to watch.
it's weird, like I think I said before, one day, no grass, the next, LOTS of it.
It's filling in nicely, the patches that were late bloomers are even filling in and the early patches look like a lawn already. I'm so happy :D
Maybe I'll post pics in a week or two.

I'm probly the only guy in the world with underground sprinklers on a 15'x15' lawn.
7 heads to boot

BTW, if you go to the quality nurseries they sell a high altitude mix for CO. I'm using regular old scotts kentucky blue and it's been just fine, we'll have to see I guess. My lawn only gets sun a couple hours a day, maybe that helps. I see a lot of lawns around here burnt up

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks