how fast does grass grow?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, May 3, 2004.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

a strange question, yes.
    I seeded my little front "yard" sunday, it's only about 15'x15'.. anyway, how long does this crap take to sprout? the bag says something about seedlings in 7 days, that doesn't mean anything to me, I'm on day 2 and I'm already tired of walking my dog on a leash ever 2 hours [​IMG]

If it matters the soil here is sandy, I raked in a half inch of scotts uh, grass soil something or other, then tossed down some seed. i've got sprinklers watering the area twice a day so it's moist all day long, temps this week are pushing 80-85, but only briefly and next week should be 60's-70's. I'm a little late, but it's been snowing like every weekend here it seems lately.

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

P.S. sod would have been something like 100-150 dollars, and I couldn't justify the expense [​IMG]

also, what happens if you put too much seed down? For some reason my head was off by oh, 1000 sq feet and I used a whole 3lb bag, is that a problem? [​IMG]

3. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

The time to sprout will vary with the type of seed, moisture levels, temperature, soil conditions etc. I find that seed I put out in the spring can take up to 14 days before I can see a small sprout and about 6 months- 1 year to mature. If you are walking your dog on the seeded area regularly it may never get a real chance to grow, that is why sod would be recommended. Too much seed shouldnt be much of a problem just a waste.

4. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Grass can be harvested every six weeks.

Oh....That grass. :b

5. andrew markworthy

Over this side of the Herring Pond, a lot of Brits have got rid of lawns at the front of the house precisely because they are such a fuss, you get every dog and cat in the district thinking it's their toilet area, etc. Personally, on such a relatively small space, I'd have been strongly tempted to avoid grass altogether, and use decorative gravel or similar with a few nice specimen plants. A bit more expensive to set up, but far less fuss in the long run.

However, as you now have grass, all you can do is keep Fido off the area until the grass has properly established itself (and that will be a good few weeks). You might find the following Brit web site on lawn care of some use:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basic...ng_lawn1.shtml

6. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Believe me, once you start mowing it your thoughts will be "How can this grass grow so damn fast?!"

7. andrew markworthy

Julie, if it's any consolation, it's worse in the UK. I guess over in sunny California there's a chance that in high summer the grass will get scorched. Over here, there's generally enough rain in the summer that the grass stays lush and green and you're generally mowing every few days. In the past I have honestly looked seriously into buying a goat.

8. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Andrew, every few days? Yikes.

However summer in sunny California is prime growing season for many of the grasses here. It has to be watered nearly every day to keep it from dieing and then mowed every weekend because all that water is making it grow grow grow. At least during the winter it stops growing.

9. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Knowing Julie, she would buy a new goat every spring to keep the grass down, then every fall have a goat-roasting party. Is roast goat as good as roast lamb? mmmmmm....

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I need the grass so I don't have to walk the dog out in the common area, the builder put bark dust down so for a year she's been out there happy as a clam. I have a gated little hard, so unless they hop the gate they're not using it.

I wish I could buy a flymo here andrew, but they don't sell them.
    I could buy one from the UK but I'd then need a really expensive auto transformer.

When I went to montana state u. they were working on a dwarf grass that only grows like 2" tall and stops, I wonder what ever happened to that.
    Anyway, many of my neighbors have a zeroscape type of layout, but the area is so small grass won't be a big deal.
    If I didn't have the pup I'd put in a pond [​IMG]

11. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I'm trying to grow 1/2 acre of grass. I look out now and I can see a green tint over the whole lawn. It took a few weeks.

By the way, the area where I have my dog tied up is completely grown in and ready to be cut. for some reason, that area grew like crazy. (We don't have a fence yet so I got a long rope and hook her on it. Leash? Heck no!)

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

strange, better soil maybe?

I'm in a townhouse but have a small yard, nowhere to tie her out so I have to walk her in the common area.

13. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

That's easy...Get rid of the dog.

14. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

You'll start seeing fuzz soon but you really won't have a fully developed lawn for a long long time. I takes sometimes years for a lawn to get fully grown in with no patches or dead spots. Its not just a "toss it down and thats it" kind of thing. Even with sod. My lawn is about 1.5 years old and its still trying to grow in. I don't expect it to be perfect for a few more years.

15. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

Here in Fla. most people have St. Augustine grass. It's more like a vine with sprouts. If you don't want to sod the whole yard you buy plugs and it all grows together fairly quickly.We just had our house built in Nov. and my grass looks awesome.

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

in houston they grew something like that, looked like crabgrass to me.
    kentucky blue all the way [​IMG]

been 4 days, no fuzz, nothin but a bunch of mud and my dog taking me for walks every 2 hours.

17. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I put in sod and it grew pretty quickly. It took a summer for the seams to disappear, but by the second mowing the lawn felt solid and secure. I've watched people try to put in seed and everything I've seen just strengthens my pro-sod position, at least for southern California.

(P.S. Goat can be pretty tasty...)

18. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I don't do goat/sheep or anything of the sort.
    We were running low on meat once and ate some mountain goat stew, it was alright...long as it's boiled long enough.

Sod really is rediculously expensive in CO, I think it's the cost of the water, but I really don't know. I found online prices in Oregon, about 3.50 a 10' roll, it's about double that here.

19. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

I can send you some plugs from my lawn, it did not even die when it had no rain for 2 months, and I do not water it ever, first rain and it was green again and grew like 2 inches overnight

20. andrew markworthy

You don't have Flymos? How do you survive?