What's new

How far to sit from different size TVs? (1 Viewer)

Rob Dawn

Stunt Coordinator
I seem to recall reading something on some Web page many moons ago regarding the optimal distance you should sit from TVs. But I of course have forgotten both the page and the distances.
frown.gif

Does anyone know of some recommended distances you should sit away from the TV based on it's diagonal size? (I'm guessing 4x3 Direct View and 16x9 RPTV values would be different as well.)
Thanks in advance,
Rob

Ray Tseng

Auditioning
At least twice the vertical height of the screen. Usually more.
[Edited last by Ray Tseng on July 16, 2001 at 06:20 PM]

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
The current issue of The Perfect Vision mentions 3 times the height for HiDef and 7.2 for the rest.
I normally work with 3 times the height. If you are unsure check out a TV at a store with normal cable and try different distances. You want as close as possible without seeing scan lines.

JohnHN

Stunt Coordinator
There are two sorts of distance rules. The resolution rules are based on screen height and display resolution. The impact rules are based on screen width. To convert either to rules based on the diagonal, break out the old Pythagorean theorem.
On resolution, the basic benchmark is the critical viewing distance (CVD). Sit further away than the CVD and you lose resolution. Sit closer than the CVD and you start to see structure (this includes more than just scan lines; sit too close and images that should look smooth look blotchy). But you can usually sit MUCH closer than the CVD, gaining impact, before the structure becomes annoying. For example, the CVD for standard interlaced video is 7.2 times screen height (as was mentioned above), but with progressive DVD I find 4 just fine. Many argue for a smaller multiplier. Some prefer a larger multiplier. It is a matter of personal taste.
A discussion of both sorts of distance rules, written by Greg Rogers, can be found at
http://www.theperfectvision.com/howto/howto_tech_4.htm
------------------
[Edited last by JohnHN on July 17, 2001 at 07:24 AM]

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I've always used three (3) to five (5) times screen heigh. Although every time I've viewed at 3x it's always seemed too close. Personally I find 4-5 ideal. If you're talking interlaced sets the ultimate goal is to not see any scan lines. With a progressive set the rules change in that there aren't scan lines, but you'll still find that when you're too close the image suffers.
I'm moving this to the TV Forum. If you search under this topic you should find a number of previous discussions.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Steven_C

Grip
I have a formula that I use when asked what the correct viewing distance is for a certain screen size. This is for a 16/9 screen with progressive scan. Take the screen height and multiply it by 3.3. Then take the screen height and multiply it by 4.0. The 3.3 figure gives you a 30 degree viewing angle, and the 4.0 gives you a 25 degree viewing angle. Let's use the PRO-510HD as an example. It has a 26" screen height. The 30 degree viewing distance is just over 7 feet and the 25 degree viewing distance is just under 9 feet. So I would say the proper viewing distance from this set is 7 to 9 feet. Now comes my personal adjustment to this formula that most of you are familiar with. If you went to a movie theater and you could choose anywhere to sit, where would that be? If you said the center I would suggest around 8 feet as the correct viewing distance for 510HD. If you said the front row I would say 7 feet, maybe less. If you said the rear of the theater I would say 9 feet, maybe more. There is no perfect formula, but this one makes sense to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks