How far to put unshielded speakers from TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LeslieY, Oct 27, 2002.

1. LeslieY

LeslieY Auditioning

I'm trying to setup my 2 front channel speakers, but I am using unshielded speakers and I'm not sure how far I should put them from the TV to avoid any problems. I have them about 1-1.5 ft. from the TV right now, and I don't notice any discolouration or anything; do you think this is sufficient? Or should I have them further away? The speakers are 50 W. bookshelf speakers (about 1.5 ft. high).

I haven't noticed any strangeness in the picture with the TV, so is this distance far enough? Or does having the speakers too close to the TV cause any other invisible problems that I'm not aware of?

I'm kind of worried that I may have wrecked my TV without knowing it, but I hope that all is OK.

2. joe rizzuto

joe rizzuto Stunt Coordinator

i just go by the discoloration on the screen. are you in a very small space? your speakers could easily move even farther apart for better soundstaging. btw, i don't think having your speakers close for a short time will do any permanent damage to the tv.

3. LeslieY

LeslieY Auditioning

Thanks for the reply...

They have been there for over a week now. I moved them further away only yesterday after realizing that I may be causing some permanent damage. But yes, the space is fairly small and so I'm sitting fairly close to the TV (about 3 metres away I guess).

Other than discoloration or geometry issues, can having unshielded permanent magnets near your TV cause any other problems?

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

here's an easy way to tell.

1. switch your tv to an aux input. the idea is to have a solid blue/green/whatever screen.

2. take the speaker and move it towards the tv. you'll see the picture start to "curve" or get all funky color....it's totally obvious.

3. back off the speaker until it stops. personally, i'd add some extra distance just to be safe. i'm guessing, but i think 3-4 feet should be adequate.

i once left some small unshielded speakers on top of my tv for quite some time. i finally noticed the damage, but when i took the speakers off, the damage eventually went away. believe me...i checked big-time.