How far should I sit from my TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Cook, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Richard Cook

Richard Cook Stunt Coordinator

I'm just about to take delivery of a 42" 16:9 TV to replace my 29" 4:3 model.
    My question is: How far should I besitting from the new set in order to achieve the best impact? I belive there is a formula to work this out but I can't remember what it is.
    I'm currently sittin 6'(2 metres) from my current TV.
    Many thanks in advance.
    ------------------
    Richard (UK)

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    IMO, it's a matter of personal preference.
    - Steve

3. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Yes, there is a formula. I believe one such formula was discussed in the Joe Kane special video edition of Widescreen Review. It has to do with angle of view, site lines, and whether or not you'll see scan lines on the screen.
    Things have changed a bit with HDTV so you can sit closer than with the NTSC system without seeing scan lines, pixel structure, etc.
    However, I believe there is a SMPTE approved rule of thumb as to the proper calculations for both 4x3 and 16x9 screen ratios.
    If I run across them, I'll post them here.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Boycott JVC, 5C, HDCP, DFAST, and stop the MPAA!! Call Or Write The FCC And Your State and Federal Representatives To Protect Quality HDTV And Other HD Media, And Your Constitutional Rights!

4. Aaron Plaza

Aaron Plaza Auditioning

Yeah I remember reading about a formula. But do you think I could find it in all my magazines. I do recall a general rule of thumb that you want the field of view to be no greater than 30 degrees.

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I could be wrong but I thought it was 7 screen heights for NTSC resolution and 3 screen heights for HDTV resolution.