How far should I seperate the surround rear speakers in a 7.1 setup?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Todd smith, Jul 30, 2004.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

How far on the back wall of my theater should these two speakers be seperated?

2. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

how big is the room, how far are you from the rear speakers? I've seen a few recomendations the rear speakers should go on the side wall in the rear, I play with placement and see what sounds best to me usually

3. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

If they are direct speakers, in the corners toed in towards the sweet spot works great for me. If you must mount them on the rear wall, both placed 1/3 the way in from the corner works good. Some put them directly opposite their mains.

Both of these assume you are a good distance from the rear wall, if your seating is close to the rear wall, then angled down to your seating works good.

Here is Dolby's suggestions:Dolby HT Setup

4. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

Mine are on the rear wall (thus the name REAR speakers!)about 1/3rd of the way in from the sides (they end up about 4 feet apart). Firing directly over the viewers' heads (1 foot over the back row, 2 feet over the front). This is pretty standard, but of course your room dicates what sounds best

- Cryo

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

From Dolby:

[​IMG]

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I like the idea of an equilateral triangle back there. For example, my rears are 5 ft each from me, and 5 ft from each other.

A wise man once answered this question thusly:

Start with the rears side by side. Play discrete test tones. Move them apart until you can just differentiate the test tone from the left rear speaker from the right rear speaker.

(Courtesy Sanjay Durani! [​IMG] )

But if you look at the recommendations for THX Ultra2, they actually include side--by-side placement too.