How far should a rear ported speaker be from the wall?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Mar 10, 2003.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I have Paradigm Studio 20s on surround duty and on one side the rear of the speaker is about 3"-4" away from the wall. I was just curious as to what is the optimal position. Thanks!
    James

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Optimal is more like 3' (feet) away from any boundary. [​IMG] Less than that, use your ears to judge. Sometimes angling them a little helps. I'm currently using Energy C-3's as surrounds, and Acoustic Energy 300c's as rears. Both are front ported. A little bit more forgiving for "close-to-a-boundary" placement.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

The answer is in the owner's manual for your speakers.

But in general speakers should be at least a foot or two from the walls. My mains in my home theater are about 3' out from the walls, in front of the plane of the RPTV. My rears are attached to the walls, so only a cm or so away.

I have a pair of rear ported Wharfedale Modus 1.6 speakers in my living room that I use for dinner music. They sounded really muddy when I forst got them, because they were too close to the walls. Now they're about a foot out and they sound much better.

4. ScottSchrader

ScottSchrader Auditioning

I dont have rear ported speakers so all of mine are attached to walls, would it be the same idea for a rear ported sub?

Scott

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Maintaing a distance that's twice the diameter of the port usually implies that there'll be no significant change in the performance of the speaker. When the speaker is too close, this causes the tuning frequency of the speaker enclosure to drop a bit. However, being that close to the wall may result hearing bass that sounds boomy. This isn't so much as the fact your speaker is rear ported as it has to do with being that close likely will excite assorted room resonances.

6. Erich S

Erich S Agent

Since you have these as surrounds, what cross-over frequancy do you use? Check the reviews on the Paradigm site to see the frequency range where the port is effective. If you use an 80Hz cross-over, there may never be much air moving through the port. I have Studio 20's for the sides and rear, all about four inches from the wall, but have not experimented enough yet to see how that impacts the sound. Elsewhere, someone suggested placing padding behind the port so the air does not strike a hard wall. Haven't tried it yet.