How far is too far for rear surrounds?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by matt bee, May 22, 2002.

1. matt bee

matt bee Stunt Coordinator

Okay, below is a diagram of my living room. Not to scale, of course. The yellow dot is my seating position, the red dot is the television. The blue squares would be the speakers. The only place, really, for the rear surrounds is on the back wall, which would be maybe 15 feet back from the seating area. Is this too far? I suppose I could use stands, but then they would be placed right in the center of the room and I'd rather not do that. I realize that calibrating the speakers will even out the sound, but I'm concerned about that much distance.
    Also, I'm wondering about the sound for other seating in the room. The position of the yellow dot is a recliner. On either of the side walls (in front of the window and across from it) will be couches. Will movies and television be difficult to listen to from these side positions?
    Thanks in advance,
    ~Matt
    [​IMG]

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

matt -

distance shouldn't be too much of a factor for you. you'll definitely want to ensure that you've correctly calibrated your system with a SPL. with speakers that far back, you'll want to make sure that enough "volume" is coming from the rears relative to your front speakers.

your receiver should also let you set a distance and/or time delay for your rear speakers.

3. Jeff Mills

Jeff Mills Stunt Coordinator

Why not hang them from the ceiling???

4. matt bee

matt bee Stunt Coordinator

The ceiling is another possibility. Is there a disadvantage to having them up that high, though?