how far away is HD-DVD??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

getti,g HBO and Showtime HD and HDNet has ruined my DVD viewing.

Well, that's an exaggeration of course, but i constantly find myself wishing, when i'm watching dvd's, that it was showing on one of those channels because the difference is so big to my eyes it's stunning.

I don't plan on getting a D-VHS player, so I'm stuck waiting for hd-DVD. I've done a few searches but can't find any info about just how far away the technology is. So, what's a good projected date of arrival?

thanks

2. Dennis_HT

Dennis_HT Agent

Based on what I have read, I would say 2-5 years at the earliest. Most maufacturers have agreed on a standard for the blue laser format. However, there is also a push for a modified red laser format.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

years, easy. If your that desperate for High-def, go D-VHS. The bitrate is probably higher than HD-DVD will be anyway, especially if they go with the modified red laser format, which relies on better compression over more space.

4. JeffreyMercado

JeffreyMercado Second Unit

Everybody says years, but I would bet by this years CEDIA of CES 2003 we will see some kind of prototype like the Toshiba last year. Accept maybe a working model to blow our minds. I for one am looking forward to seeing those toshiba LCOS 1080P TVs. Should be quite stunning especially since I was already shocked by the $8999 price tag.

5. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

TO those of you with hundreds of DVDs, approximately what % of your current discs would you upgrade for the HD-DVD copy?

Me? Not many...Maybe some of my favorites like SPR, but not much else.

I will certainly buy HD-DVD, but only new releases or things I never got around to buying on DVD.

6. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I defineately hope HD-DVD players are downward-compatible. I'm hoping the transition will be smooth for me... a new player and then just start buying new titles in the hd-dvd format. By that time I hope to have a better display device.

But I'd defineately say years. Even if they get a prototype out next year, it will still be a couple years until they get the first consumer model on the market and then years more until it catches on enough among the early adopters to become a viable format.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Another couple of years on the technology side until it's a product and not a toy. (Blue laser vs. enhanced red laser, manufacturing issues, standards, backwards compatiblity, etc. all still to be worked out in detail.)

Heaven knows how long before the studios sign on and there is be some actual software to go with these nifty players. Studio foot-dragging delayed the original DVD launch for several years, don't forget, and full studio participation didn't begin until two years after that. 480i digital copies of their films scared the cr*p at of the studios in the early and mid 90s. How eager do you guys really think they're going to be to launch 1080p near-studio masters in the public market place? They're going to want an almost impregnable copy-protection scheme in place before they sign on the dotted line - and how likely is it that anybody is going to come up with one?

Regards,

Joe

8. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Then how do you explain dvhs? My understanding from what some are claiming here, is that dvhs has higher resolution than hd-dvd will have. I don't know if that's true, but if so, then why would they be more reluctant to put out hd-dvd than dvhs?

9. Jerry Dreiss

Jerry Dreiss Stunt Coordinator

The next question is what is next for display technology? It will be nice to have a pre-recorded playback tech that pushes the display to it's full potental, but it would be just our luck to get HD-DVD just as they introduce S-HDTV's!

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I doubt there will ever be another upgrade in television format in our lifetimes

HD-DVD movies on the shelves at your local Best Buy is a minimum of 10 years away

11. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    Years away, definitely. However, it will be backwards compatible with older formats because not doing so will limit the sales potential of such a handicapped player.

But as for replacing all my DVDs with HD-DVDs, that's a long way off! Chances are the current DVD format will still be exploited for anything recorded in resolutions below the current HDTV specs. Also, not all HD releases will necessarily be better than their DVD counterparts as I found out the hard way with my Laserdisc collection. I have Laserdiscs in my collection that are either not available on DVD or are not available in their original version. "The Alamo" is a good example of this. I have the roadshow version on Laserdisc, yet only the shortened theatrical version is available on DVD.

I also have many titles that simply sound so much better on Laserdisc than they do on DVD even when directly comparing the uncompressed 2 channel surround soundtrack on Laserdisc with the compressed 5.1 channel soundtrack on DVD. Sometimes a remastered 5.1 soundtrack can actually hurt the quality of the original soundtrack instead of improving it.

So when HD-DVD comes out, I will embrace it as I have embraced the DVD and Laserdisc formats in the past. However, I won't assume it's a better format across the board.

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I agree with Jeff.
    HDDVD and HDTVs becoming the norm are 10 years away.

13. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If anything, DVHS will slow HD-DVD, because now there is a delivery mechanism for HD. But the market for HD playback right now is what, 2 million homes with an HDTV, of which maybe 20% would buy a DVHS deck?

14. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

15. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I say we'll see a few HD-DVD players in a couple years, but it'll be a little pricey.

DVD is just too popular now to bring a shift to HD-DVD.

I wouldn't replace every DVD in my collection (160 DVDs).

I'd replace some of my favorites, but only those favorites which are beautifully filmed to begin with - thus taking better advantage of HD-DVD.

16. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I'm going to walk out on the plank here and bet we see HD-DVD players hitting the market by Christmas 2003.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

18. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Be sure to add your voice to the others who want HD-DVD to be everything it should be (link in my sig).

I predict HD-DVD within 5 years. I also predict that all players will be backwards compatible with SD-DVDs and produce spectacular scaled pictures (480P, 720P, 960P, 1080I/P) from standard 480-encoded SD-DVDs.

-dave

19. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

If HD-DVD is not as good as or even better than D-VHS in the video and audio department then it's a no buy for me.
    I have already stated that if Blue-Ray is going to be it (I'm guessing here because I'll be really pissed if they stick with red lasers and HIGH compression) then they need a minimum of two 50 GB discs per average length movie (maybe no more than 2 hours, 40 minutes total at maximum bitrate, which would take care of a majority of films). That way the video is guaranteed to be at least somewhat better than D-VHS (no worse), and there would be room for MLP compressed 7.1 discrete PCM at high resolutions (perhaps even 24 bit/192 kHz) on the primary soundtrack. DTS or DD would only be backwards compatible tracks as they are with DVD-Audio discs now.
    I could take one disc swap (especially in a disc changer) for a regular length movie to gain reference quality audio and video over convenience and lesser quality any day.
    Dan