How far are your B&Ws from your TV

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tommy_N, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

I'm interested in the B&W 600 or CDM series, but I'm afraid I might not have enough room between them and my Sony Wega TV.

I heard the Sonys are more prone to problems from unshielded speakers than most TVs.

My speakers are going to be about 24 inches away from the TV. Will this be enough distance. Everything I've read seems to indicate that they only need 18 inches. But too me 6 inches is cutting it close.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tom

PS,

I'll also take suggestions of other speakers to audition. I'm also going to check out the Kef Q and XQ line.

Thanks again

2. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

Tommy
    I have my CDM 9nt's about 18" from my Toshiba 57hdx82. The back of the 9nt's are even with the front of the set. This isn't the best comparison since my set is a RPTV. But keep in mind the relationship of your speaker drivers vs. your tv stand height etc. it may not seem as close as you think.

As far as speaker options I used to have the 604's, 601's and center before I upgraded and quite frankly it sounded really good! As far as the kef lines I think they are a great option as well and you couldn't go wrong with either. Take some demo stuff with you and listen to both and pick what meets your needs....depends on your HT vs. music ratio I have found that numerous speakers will fill the HT needs but if you are big on music (2 channel)I would demo music only and most likely it will preform great for HT as well. Its your ears and only you can determine what is the best fit. Happy listening

3. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Sony tv's are more sensitive to unshielded speakers. Back when I was using a 27" Sony tv with my home theater, my CDM 1NT's were a good 28" from the cabinet edge to the tv sides and they were still affecting the tv a bit.

4. Lam Nguyen

Lam Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

I have my CDM 7NT about 18 inches from an old 41in. magnavox projection TV and everything is fine. I use to place them right up against the TV at my old place and it was OK. I don't think you'll have any problems

5. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

You should be fine. My 600s are approx 24 inches away from my Wega today and there are no probs. I think I tried around 20 or so and I want to say even that was fine. Initially I tried 6 inches which was way to close and was causing problems.

--Steve