How far are we from having dead actors....

Discussion in 'Movies' started by todd s, Oct 13, 2005.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

In another post. Volkswagon has a commercial using Gene Kelly. To any computer/film out there. How far off are we from having completely computer generated actors who are dead? Or even having a computer generated younger version of an actor doing something. For example having a young version of Kirk....using Shatners voice from now.

2. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

Hopefully quite far from that last example.

BB

3. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Didn't Laurence Olivier get billing in "Sky Captain?" He was in it a lot if I recall...and is quite dead. That kind of thing?

We are seeing it in video games, of course. Sean Connery just did voice over work for the new Bond game set during "From Russia with Love" using that physical version of Bond but with Connery's old brogue filling in. Creepy.

Granted, he's not dead yet but the Star Trek example from above jumped out at me.

4. Kain_C

Kain_C Screenwriter

Haha, I had an idea of tooling with "High Noon" and when Cooper's character is walking through town and having no success at recruiting, John Wayne and Clint Eastwood (Leone era) walk up at the last minute and offer their services to help fight Miller and his posse. It's stupid and I hope it never happens, but it gave me a chuckle thinking about it.

By the way, there was a beer commercial featuring R. Lee Ermey and a CGI'ed John Wayne awhile back.

5. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

The Tales From The Crypt episode "You, Murderer" springs to mind.

Bogart's face CGI'd everytime the main character looked into the mirror. Hell, they even CGI'd Hitchcock into that episode.

6. Kenneth Bova

Kenneth Bova Agent

7. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

I heard, perhaps tongue-in-cheek, but perhaps not, that a certain well-known effects house has enough digital models of a fair age-range, that they, er, 'no longer need Tom Cruise.'

Granted, that could be taken in a number of ways, but... [​IMG]

Leo

8. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    In the UK there's a new car advert that uses digital technology to import the cast of Happy Days into it, it's very weird to watch.

My favorite example of this was the Virgin Trains advert, it digitally pasted many characters from movies in which they used trains, there were clips from the likes of "The Lady Vanishes", "North by Northwest", "Some Like It Hot" and a few others. The advert finished with Cary Grant from NBNW saying "Beats flying doesn't it?". Great advert IMO.

9. Patrick.C

Patrick.C Second Unit

Don't forget the Diet Coke commercial from around 1991-92 that had Gene Kelly, Bogart, etc. interacting with Elton John and Paula Abdul.

10. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Then there is Gladiator, where Oliver Reed got CGIed in some places because of his premature death. They did some of that in The Crow as well, if just to a smaller degree. (Mostly, a body double covered with hair, so you didn't know it wasn't Brandon Lee.)

Jason

11. John Mansor

John Mansor Stunt Coordinator

I must admit that I hold out hope that they can do 7, 8 & 9 of Star Wars this way.