How does videogames that are not 16:9 look on a 16:9 widescreen TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Antonio_B, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Antonio_B

Antonio_B Stunt Coordinator

hi,so here's the question:
    How does videogames that are not in 16:9 format look on a 16:9 widescreen TV?
    Does black bars appear at the bottom and the top or on the left or the right side of the screen?
    Thanks in advance!

2. JohnTKline

JohnTKline Stunt Coordinator

I think they look fine. For example, halo is 4:3, but I use stretch mode on my mitsubishi 55", and I think it looks great!

John

3. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Most tv's display light grey bars on the side when in 4:3 mode. There are different types of zooms and stretches, and results vary widely upon the game and upon personal preference.

-Dave

4. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

I have found the 4:3 games--especially those that support progressive scan--look very nice. I prefer to play my games in their native aspect ratio rather than stretch them, so I do have to deal with grey bars on the sides of the television. However, it's not that big of a deal since I can easily cover up the bars with some mattes. Overall, the only downside of doing that is that the picture can look a little washed out on darker games since the black level isn't as good.

Of course, I wouldn't have to worry about it if more developers offered a 16:9 mode in their games. Widescreen gaming is just too cool. It's a shame we don't see more of it at this point.

5. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

I finally got the HD pack for X Box the other weekend. Was playing Halo last night on my 53" Panny using the stretch mode. Was sitting about 7 feet away and it was UNBELIEVABLE. Looked fantastic. I had a hard time telling it was stretched at all.

6. Michael St. Clair

I think they look terrible in stretch modes, except maybe racing games. It's really a matter of personal preference.

7. Leif Wall

Leif Wall Second Unit

Satellite and OTA tv look bad to me when stretched. I was pleasantly suprised by Halo.

8. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    I have found that games for the most part look fine stretched. I think it’s the lack of real-life reference – if I stretch a TV show, the actors look distorted because I know what their faces are supposed to look like. With VG’s, the lack of photo-realism mitigates a lot of the distortion. I play SMS in full stretch, and even though I’ve played it extensively on a 4:3 set as well, it doesn’t really look off to me. I suppose football games would look bad distorted, but Madden and NFL2K2 both support widescreen anyway.

I wish developers would include widescreen more often than they do. I suppose it is more of a challenge to implement than progressive scan, which is much more common. The thing is, the ratio of progressive scan 4:3 sets to 16:9 sets is really low, so widescreen only would be better utilized than progressive scan only.

9. Michael St. Clair

10. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I think that the games look fine in stretch mode. I prefer it to having the black bars on the sides. Since I watch all of my regular TV in stretch mode, I'm used to it by now and don't notice a huge difference.

11. VinT

VinT Agent

I use stretch mode on my 42" Toshi and most 4:3 games look fine. Except for driving games. The cars look noticably flattened.

12. Derek.Dixon

Derek.Dixon Agent

Jaggies can sometimes be more noticable, colors a bit faded, Mario looks shorter and fatter,

13. Greg_TSL

Greg_TSL Stunt Coordinator

I think it depends on the game type.
    Cartoony games look fine to me, but realistic looking characters in games really bug me in stretch mode.
    Also games that have an axis that "rolls" like a flight simulator can be ugly since a circle is "wide", then when you roll 90 degrees it appears "tall"
    If you're like me you can just get Tony Hawk 4 and play it till your tailbone pokes through your ass....then you dont have to worry about non 16:9 games [​IMG]