How does VCD compare to SVHS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Just wondering how they compare in terms of resolution. I know one is analog and the other is digital and the quality of the VCD depends on the encoding software and bit rates etc. I'm just asking about a rough comparison, including resolution.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

SVhs is a step up from ordinary VHS. It's even better if you record from your DSS system with a SVideo cable and play back with SVideo. (The ability to use SVideo cables is worth the price alone in my opinion.)

VCD is a large step down from ordinary VHS. It uses an older MPEG1 compression which leads to a lot of bluring, artifacts. It's like you used cheap VHS tape to record something, then made a second recording from the first. Generally poor quality compared to a good VHS or DVD.

Think of going back to audio cassettes instead of CD's. That's about what a VCD is like.

Does this help?

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Wow. Thats bad. I've seen VCD before and it did look poor, but I thought it was because of the software used to make the video. Wow. Worse than SVHS? OK then [​IMG]

4. DavidEC

DavidEC Stunt Coordinator

I think that Bob had never seen a properly recorded and played back 'VCD'.
    If you look at the 'SPEC's alone a 'VCD' "_SHOULD_" have a better picture than even a SVHS tape would have.
    I have two 'DirecTV' receivers and one of them is connected to my computer which has a very low end 'TV TUNER' card.
    I have created better looking 'VCD's than SVHS tapes from the same source program.... mainly due to tape drop-out-effects
    But to do this "EVERY THING" had to be just right as far as settings on the computer! One thing not being turned off which would cause the drive to spin or use CPU cycles at the wrong time and the final product looks very bad.
    I am sure that "IF" I had an MPEG card and faster harddrives that things would come out a whole lot better!
    A proper VCD will have a resoulation of 352x240 29 frames/second, while a VHS at SP speed will only have a resoulation of 320X240 29 frames/second.
    You may want to check out
    http://www.vcdhelp.com for more info about 'VCD's
    I would suggest ordering one of the pre-recorded 'VCD's from one of the sites that link to VCDHELP.COM to check out on your own system a VCD.
    --David

5. Reece

Reece Stunt Coordinator

If a vcd is better than svhs with a good digital source than how good are svcd's with the same source?