How does this speaker look to you?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Russ Dunn, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Russ Dunn

Russ Dunn Extra

http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...PK00010NS-5295
    I'm looking into a whole new set of speakers (Home Theatre Direct) and was thinking of using these Yamahas as Rear speakers until I can afford the HTDs.
    Who knows they might just do the job fine, or maybe, you get what you pay for?
    Any opinions would be great. I can't find any reviews on these. I have a Denon 1802 reciever.
    Thank You

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

30 watts nominal sounds pretty low. I wonder if they will fart out during movies when sent high wattage.
    They do look good, I love birch and aluminum. [​IMG]
    Can't say for how they actually sound since I've never heard em. I didn't really like Yamaha speakers and subs when I demoed them at Bestbuy though.

3. Russ Dunn

Russ Dunn Extra

I should have also mentioned that they list for $125 sell for $65 on average and I found a page selling them for $30

I got some new info from users and they say the speaker is decent sounding. It's a new version of a old speaker that had performed well. The 30/60 watt thing is what worried me, but for $30 we'll see what happens.

Russ

4. RichardMA

RichardMA Second Unit

Pathetic. Just like Klipsh they are hawking "metallic coloured" polypro (the WORST driver cone material)
    to make it seem like they offer aluminum driver cones.
    Pass.

5. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

Why is Polypropylene "the WORST driver cone material". Seems like an ignorant statement to me. The use of exotic materials in a speaker cone is no guarantee of sonic nirvana. For example,,,, Ever hear a Sonus Faber Concertino? It used a Polypropylene driver. Ever hear anyone say that speaker sounds poor because it uses a Polypropylene cone ? The material used as drivers is just another way to voice a speaker to get it to sound the way they want it to.

6. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    Heh, I just picked up a 68 Silvertone guitar amp with 12" Jensen C-10Q's. They look like paper cones and still drive great! Crystal clear highs and punchy base off my low e string!

Polypro is certainly better than paper.

7. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Many high end speakers use paper too [​IMG]

9. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

The GR 165 by Bohlender Graebener states:

"In the design process of this driver, we tried many different types of cone materials including carbon fibre, woven kevlar, honeycomb kevlar, polyproylene, mica injected poly, aluminum, etc. However, nothing matched the acoustic sound of the treated paper."

Personally, I'd rather have a driver that sounds good rather than one designed for looks.