How does this sound for a truck?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by StephenA, Apr 19, 2002.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I'm getting a 1971 Dodge full bed hydromatic/automatic pickup that has hardly any rust, if any at all, and roughly 10,000 miles on it. It needed to have it's hoses, tires, and other rubber parts replaced, plus the gas tank, so it's in the shop right now.

2. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

Ten thousand miles for a 31 year old vehicle?

How many times has that odometer rolled over?

-JNS

3. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

It was my grandfather's truck. He died in 1978. He never really used the truck for much. Mainly to do things around the mobile home park he owned and my grandmother now owns. It sat in the garage at the park till Christmas 2000.

4. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

It sounds pretty neat. I hope none of the internal seals have broken down over time. (Head gaskets, water pump gaskets, thing like that.) A vehicle that has been sitting for a long time can have some pretty serious problems. I would also have some carbueretor work done to it as well. I'm sure the floats are probably stuck and the needles are probably gummy as well.

I would also look into the gas tank for any rust. I would change every single fluid/grease on it. Rear-end oil, everything.

Also check the bushings in the suspension. They can also rot out. While your at it, check the shocks and make sure they aren't leaky.

I would love to have an older truck like that with so few miles on it! What engine is in it? 318 or 360 V8 or that Dodge straight 6?

5. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I don't know what motor is in it because I'm not a auto person. All I know is it's a full sized pickup with 4 wheel drive and what else I already mentioned.

Everything that needs to be done, is being done to it at the shop. It's a very nice looking truck.

6. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

7. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I didn't laugh! Yay, I'm sane [​IMG]