What's new

How does the power compare between 696 and 797? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
What is the real world power difference between the 696 and the 797? I am aware there was some bad test results in Sound and Vision? What about stereo performance?

Can't you use normal DPL with the 696 and 797? I heard you can't. Not that I'd really prefer the older one, but might there be a time when the older one suits the program material more?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Har har. 101 eh? What units? Watts? Might make sense if you look at it this way: 5 x 100 vs 6 x 100 watts, with the extra watt thrown in for the sake of over-engineering? :D
Seriously now, I really am curious about the difference in power between the 2 receivers. I am seriously considering replacing my SR 6200 with an Onkyo 797, or possibly, a 696. I would like to know how the Onkyo 797 stands up in terms of power output.
Also, I'd like to read some reviews on the unit, other than the audioreview.com ones.
Anybody?

StephenL

Second Unit
I'd expect the 797 to have significantly higher 5 channel power because of its THX Select certification.

Dolby Pro Logic II has two modes: Movie and Music. The Movie mode is closest to the old Pro Logic, but with significant improvements. The old Pro Logic surround is mono with limited frequency range. Pro Logic II provides full-frequency stereo surround. In my opinion there is no need to retain the old Pro Logic.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Chris- Check out the latest S&V where they compare a Denon, Sony, and Pioneer receiver.

In a nutshell, the Sony is rated higher power per channel by the manufacturer than the Denon, but in a real world *all channels driven* test, the Sony ends up with just barely half the power of the Pioneer and Denon.

I actually don't know how you can answer this question unfortunately though, without actual testing data.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Chris,

I just hooked up my new 797. I haven't had a chance to really test it out yet, but my early impression is that the unit has a lot more power than my 6200 did.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
ChrisAG ;)
Cool. I'd love to see how things work out for you. As you well know, I am very very interested in the Onkyo 797. If you don't mind me asking, where did you pick up the 797 and for how much?
I am really not keen on spending any more money, and yet the 797 is the only thing worth spending money on in my view :) My receiver is so bogus I have experienced other goofy problems like not center or surrounds when playing dts or DD laserdiscs and also no sound via CD playing in my DVD player. I was going to wait out the Marantz problema and try to get along with using the RCA's for the CD's, but I'm so frustrated I may spend the extra for the 797.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Onkyo 797 just under $1650 at Kromer. If you are interested let me know, and I can put you in touch with my sales guy.

I hated to spend the money, especially since it cost almost double the 6200, but at least it is defect-free and has way more features and tweakability than the Marantz. There are about three times as many on-screen menu pages!

Don't ask me to give you much detail yet though, at this point I have barely listened to it.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Is that before or after taxes? I was quoted about $1700.00 before tax at the store I deal with. I had inquired at Kromer quite seriously over the phone, but like every other place in Toronto, they expressed their lack of interest in Onkyo and mentioned that they carry mainly Integra. My store is a bit like that too.

Thats cool about the details. As time goes by, I'll ask you how things go. I'd really love to see it in action at your place and not in a store. If that is at all possible in the next little while, let me know. I know its kinda much to ask, but it would help me out. If not, don't worry about it. Just keep me up to date on how things go.

Any first impressions on the sound quality in comparison to the SR 6200 you had ?

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
Before tax.
Sorry, no sound details yet. I just got the unit Yesterday and was out most of today.
Sure you can come by for a listen - maybe one evening next week or next weekend. E-mail me at [email protected] with your schedule.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Cool. OK. Well, thanks, I'll see what makes sense with my schedule. Happy listening :)

DanaA

Screenwriter
Just for your information, I was just over at EBay and one seller lists a new Onkyo 797 receiver at $850 "buy it now" (you don't have to bid, but can just buy it straight out at this price). They say they are an authorized Onkyo dealer and, as such, the receiver carries Onkyo's full warranty.
Link:http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1303544820
However, I notice you live in Canada and are probably talking of Canadian dollars, so I don't know how the American dollar figure translates, nor do I know if the seller ships to Canada.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Just to throw this in the mix, my Denon 3802 lets you select old DPL. There are 3 choices for DPL mode: DPL, DPL II Cinema, DPL II Music. Plus DPL II Music has all of the adjustments: Panorama, Center Width and Dimension. I listen to everything in DPL II Music mode, as I have tweaked the settings so that it sounds great with all source material. I know that Jim Fosgate actually listens to everything in DPL II Music mode (he posted on avsforum). He said that the steering logic is the same, but the Music mode allows the dimension and center width (the center width adjustment is the best!) so that you can tweak it to your room and setup. IMO, they should have left out the Cinema mode, and just called it DPL II with these "Music" adjustments.

As far as the 797 vs 696 - IMO, get the 797 - that is a nice looking machine!

Bryan

P.S. the 3802 seems to be coming down in price. Even Crutchfield lists it for $999 USD. I consider that a great price from an authorized dealer.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Chris PC,

As you know i used to own the SR7200 and i returned it in favor of the 797. It is a shame you guys in Canada have to pay so much more for the 797 than the SR6200. I only had to pay an extra $150 to get the 797. It has ALOT more power than my 7200 did. I have a 5 ch. Parasound amp but when i got the 797 i used it on it's own for a while and it has PLENTY of power. I have since bi-amped my main speakers with the Parasound and it takes a load off of the receiver(not that the receiver had any shortage of power to begin with!). The 797 has great impact and dynamic range for a receiver. It is not as warm as the Marantz for music however. If you like the warm Marantz sound for music the 797 does not have that. Not to say it doesn't sound good for music because it does, it's just more neutral sounding than the Marantz. Although my Parasound amp handles 2ch. for me, I would be happy with the 797 also if i didn't have a separate amp. HT performance with the 797 is astounding, a definate step up from the 7200. To sum things up, the 797 is a significate improvement over the SR6200/7200(IMHO). Good luck Chris and post your impressions of the 797 after you hear it. I am curious about your opinions/comparison of the 6200/797.

Chris AG,

I am also interested in hearing your opinions about the 797 in comparison to the 6200. Good luck with the 797 it is a really nice unit!

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
I think there's a lot more to the 8 pound weight difference (between the 696 and 797) than just the addition of an extra channel. We know from the S&V test, that the 696 never should have been rated as 100x5.

My opinion is still that the 595 and 797 are the best values.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Yes, Bryan
I was just going to disclose about the variances of DPL II as you beat me to the punch. Yes, you can select movie, music or standard four-channel DPL-- you do indeed have your choices. :)
And yes, such is so on the Onkyo 797 itself. You do have the capacity to at least set one of those three settings with it, just as disclosed by Bryan. ;)
This is all so very cool and so very great to me, I cannot help but disclose my enthusiasm about this particular Onkyo product. I also have cause celebre for doing so for another reason as well: the Onkyo 797 is due for arrival, at a discounted price, from a high-ended home audio dealer, into my home theater as soon as this week!!!! (The price I am paying is slighly less than would have been on my original choice, the Onkyo 696. I am so jazzed up about Onkyo already that I am looking for pick up a 494 for my bedroom next year!!! :) ) Needless to say, I am looking forward to it already!!!! :D
With the 797, I am already feeling the quantum leap about to be taken in home theaterdom by adding this fine piece of machinery to my primary system.
I just cannot help the way I feel on and about this product!!!! It is about to become reality for me after months of anticipation and am looking forward to setting up when it does arrive. And when it does, and I get things going, I shall return to HTF with my findings on the 797 and how it is fitting in to my home theater setup.
Meanwhile, the wait for arrival continues!!!! :b

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
So far I notice a distinct difference in the sound of the 797 compared to the Marantz 6200. For HT, voices seem a little clearer from the centre channel. The Onkyo puts out a little more treble.

For stereo listening, I miss the sound of the Marantz. It could be simply a case of getting used to the new sound, but right now music does not provoke the same emotional response from me. Unlike the Marantz, the Direct switch results in virtually no difference to the sound.

For home theatre the 797 is the best, but I'm not as impressed with stereo performance. As I mentioned in another post, I listened to the Onkyo 898 and Yamaha 1000 at the dealer before taking the 797 home (I was hoping the sound of the demo units would be identical to the Onkyo 797 and Yamaha 1200, respectively).

The Onkyo splits the difference between the Marantz and Yamaha, with the RX-V1000 coming off as downright harsh.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Interesting.
But if you had to give a first impression opinion of the stereo sound, would you say you like it or ???
I do seem to like the SR 6200 for music, but I am not sure I would dislike something else. I appreciate the "warm" sound, but I was used to an older Technics amp that was ok, but certainly a bit harsher than the Marantz. I imagine the Onkyo would still be good unless the sound was very bad. One thing I don't like with the marantz is that it doesn't seem to be very dynamic or aggressive. Unless the Onkyo sound is harsh and distorted, I imagine I may like it. I will have to listen, I guess.
As far as home theater performance goes, the 6200 worked fine last night. I played The English Patient on Laserdisc for 4 people, including myself, and I had to turn it down a bit! Yikes, not all people enjoy loud volumes. For the most part, it sounded really good. At least there are never any drop-outs when watching movies on DVD or Laserdisc for me. Thing is though, the Marantz did some weird things the other day. For a second it wouldn't decode the digital PCM from my DVD player playing a CD. I kept hitting the DVD button on the remote and the right stuff was lit on the Marantz, but no sound. I had to choose another source and then go back. Also, I had no center and surrounds playing the other day when playing with my laserdiscs. It could have been the LD player, cause it has been quirky, but the SR 6200 has been spooky lately.
One thing I have noticed and learned only just recently, even after all these yearsof listening to music, is that pop and rock music has zero dynamics and its horribly compressed all to hell. Even popular folk music and stuff like Gordon Lightfoot has more dynamic range than the typical music now adays. I hate compressed music now. Its like I have to turn it up and all the music is loud and there's no dynamics. I wish there was a way for me to expand the dynamic range of some music sources like you could with those older Dolby Dynamic Range expanders :)
Anyways......back to the receiver grind. I will try to visit and audition the 797 as soon as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks