How does the Hsu VTF-3 compare to a SVS??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bolivar G, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

I would love to get an SVS sub, but frankly I just dont have the room for the giant tower. I can deal with the Box on the floor still and squeeze it in.

From my researching around the VTF-3 seems to be the best box sub that claims to Do 20hz or lower thats under a grand. I do not want to go over a grand on my sub.
    Will the VTF-3 handle DVD movies nicely? or Any other Box sub under grand out there I should look at that can go to 20hz?

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

The VTF3 won't disappoint you. The only other box style sub that would match or beat it (at

3. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Howard Ferstler has measured the VTF-3 along with quite a few other

4. Adil M

Adil M Supporting Actor

Tom,
    You're a real #[email protected] for posting that. Why don't you just give us the numbers?[​IMG]

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Tom, how do Ferstler's measurement methods compare to Nousaine's?

I ask because of the big difference between the 16-46PC Ferstler number in comparison to the Nousaine 20-39CS number at 20hz but not at 31hz. Same driver. CS had almost twice the power didn't it? Different enclosures and tunes. Does the lower tune make that much of a difference for the output at 20hz? Or is this more of a different room thing?

6. KeithBR

KeithBR Agent

I have a VTF-3 and it's excellent for both music and DVD's.

Tom, do you recommend taking the grills off of the SVS subs for cleaner sound?

7. Tom Vodhanel

HF measures at 17ft,using audible cues to denote the onset of *audible* distortion to his ear. TN measures at 2m,using ramped pulsing and Melissa to measure a 10% thd limit. I think the room is about 3500 cu-ft.
    Nousaine noted (maybe in a email to me,cant remember where) that the cs only needed about 200w to reach full clean (10% limit)output...so that would be about the same as the old 190w amp we used to use in the PCs.The room is about 7500 cu-ft.TN also called the old Fidek the worst(loudest fans)sounding amp he had ever heard [​IMG] We sent in a full Ultra package(with the S1000) almost a year and a half ago now...but SVS is realizing the harsh reality of being a tiny fish in a big A/V pond...so I really don't expect to see that data anytime soon.
    Keith,
    HF mentioned that the *wind* noise through the SVS grille would only be audible with max output test tones(near the tuning point) or "possibly" a sustained pipe organ stop. With thousands of SVs in the field now...I don't remember one instance/complaint in regards to that. But if someone wanted to play test tones very loudly(which we don't recommend obviously)near the tuning point of the enclosure---removing the grille would likely lead to a subjectively cleaner sound.
    Adil,
    I wish I could, didn't do too bad for a

8. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Thank you very much for the Info.
    I just wish I had the room for a SVS , but looks like the VTF-3 will work nicely with DVD movies which is what I use my system for 90% of the time.

Anyone know if can pick this sub up for less than 850, anywhere??

9. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Tom: "SVS 25-31PCi/$499/upcoming issue/ data will surprise quite a few when it hits the newstands..."

Adil: "You're a real #[email protected] for posting that. Why don't you just give us the numbers?"

Adil, that'll be HF's call, but maybe he'll sense the interest in his upcoming article and give the public a taste? Anyway, Tom's comment stands on its own. The PCi line provides performance WAY out of line with its price, and that includes comparisons to all the top value OEM's. We've said for a long time that the PCi is better compared to the VTF-3 not the VTF-2 in terms of performance and features (though the smallest PCi is often close to the well-regarded VTF-2 in price). I expect the emerging test results will confirm what we've been saying all along (and you all know how we feel about objective testing versus the usual subjective gushing that often passes as a "review" in this industry).

Unless HF decides to spill the beans early we'll have to wait for publication (probably The Sensible Sound again but maybe not the next issue. Don't know for sure.).

Ron

10. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

>>> HF measures at 17ft,using audible cues to denote the onset of *audible* distortion to his ear. TN measures at 2m,using ramped pulsing and Melissa to measure a 10% thd limit. >>Velodyne ct120/ $499/issue 85/20hz-90dB,31hz-100dB
    Velodyne ct150/$750/issue 80/20hz-97dB,31hz-109dB

11. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

When the ct 150 was tested I think they also had it in the audio mode versus the video mode. This greatly affects...The no. would be weaker in the audio mode. Extension not quit as good though.

12. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

13. Tom Vodhanel

>>>When TN measured the 120 it kicked the 150's ass at 20hz. It would be nice to have some consistent standards in testing subs.

14. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

15. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Now your making me feel like the VTF-3 is not such a good buy!! [​IMG]
    Its not the floor space thats the problem, its the Hieght of a SVS [​IMG] I have a box sub currently and a spot for box subs already, I cant fit a SVS, just to tall [​IMG]

16. Miles Abbey

Miles Abbey Agent

I can't wait to see objective data of both pc-plus and vrt-3. vrt-3 has an unfair advantage over PCi. Perhaps pci has slightly unfair advantage over vrt-2. Apples to Apples... Oranges to Oranges.. Not Aples to Oranges.

17. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

18. KeithBR

KeithBR Agent

Bolivar G,
    It's not the lesser of 2 evils.
    The VTF-3 is a fantastic sub. IMO it's apples to oranges with almost any SVS sub because it's a box to a cyclinder.
    I honestly cant make up my mind which sub I like better. Everytime I get a new DVD or CD I play it over and over on both subs trying to convince myself one is better than the other and I just cant. For movies like LOTR, JRIII and Titan AE, I would give the edge to my SVS, but for moives like Exit wounds, Desperado, Fast n Furious & Tomb Stone, I give the edge to Hsu.
    Music is the same way fast beat techno or kick drum, I prefer the VTF-3, classical, jazz and country, I prefer the SVS. This is by the slimest of margins too.
    They are both excellent subs.
    If someone put a gun to my head and said "Tell me which one is better" If they were impatient, I would probably be shot [​IMG]
    You just cant go wrong with either companies product.
    Hsu knows what he is doing, the guy is brilliant and SVS is quickly becoming an amazing company with an equally amazing product. They are alot hungier, so it seems, then Hsu. They are constantly striving to improve their already exceptional product. You cant go anywhere online without people mentioning SVS subs, but by no means is Hsu products inferior. This coming from a guy on the edge of my seat awaiting Tom and Ron's next big announcement! [​IMG]
    I'm shooting you straight Bov, you will be more than just satisfied with a VTF-3!

19. Bolivar G

Bolivar G Second Unit

Thanks Keith , your have put me at ease [​IMG]

20. Tom Vodhanel

>>>Now your making me feel like the VTF-3 is not such a good buy