What's new

How does the Denon 3802 version of Dolby Digital EX compare to the real thing? (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
As I understand it the 3802 does not have true Dolby EX decoding capabilities. I am assuming they use there own methods to decode Dolby Digital EX/THX EX because they state that the 3802 has "Dolby Digital decoding, including Matrix 6.1 decoding". My question is how does the Denon version compare to the "real" Dolby Digital EX/THX EX. I want to know because I am planing on buying a receiver that can decode 6.1 soundtracks (although I will be using 2 speakers instead of just the one) and I want a receiver that can really do a 6.1 soundtrack justice. Thanks for your input!

james

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not sure about DD, but it is ES discrete capable, and has 7 channels of power (with 9 speaker configurable capability which seems like a great feature), so I would figure the EX is fine also. I'm not sure I understand the question, because I believe this receiver has the feature you are asking about. The 2802 does not have those two abilities, AFAIK.
I felt this receiver has excellent HT ability.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
No one besides the Beta testers of the Outlaw 950 would know since no other products have official DD EX.

The THX EX containes other post processing as well which is unnecesarry for the EX reproduction.

Having said that the 3802 is perfectly fine to decode EX signal,and it will recognise the imbeded "flag" as well.

The only reason it isn't have any logo is because licensing reasons.

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
I spoke with Denon about this before I bought a 3802 about a week ago. The guy I talked to said that "everything" about their EX processing is the same as stuff out now labled DD-EX, it just "wasn't called that" when they put the receiver on the market and it sounded like they didn't want to fart around waiting to determine what it would be called etc. I imagine, as Lewis said that another part of it he didn't mention is that they didn't want to pony up the $$ to put the logo on the box.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
But they went to the trouble of getting the DTS ES DISCRETE logo on the box... Maybe Dolby wants a lot more?

james e m

Second Unit
I want this receiver to be able to decode Dolby Digital EX movies the way that they were decoded in the theaters by Dolby. What I'm looking for is accuracy in the sense that I want this receiver to produce the same 6.1/7.1 sound on a smaller scale that I would hear in the theater. I hope that makes sense.

james

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes it makes sense. Be prepared to PAY for it though. Will you notice the difference? Probably not, but to each his own.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
From what I have heard, all of these rcvrs do some form of EX that is EX as in EX. The real problem is getting a real 6.1(ES)discrete in a rcvr for a good price.

If you want THX you need to get an Onkyo upper end model or a JVC 10(which does not have ES discrete).

JVC 9 and 10 has EX

THX Ultra Certification

898 and 989 has both EX and ES discrete

THX Select Certification

Denon 4802 has both

THX Ultra Certification

As you noticed something in the Denon specs is a misprint or it's a new feature=THX EX Discrete 6.1 ??????

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
It appears that DD EX and THX EX are the same. All new rcvrs , I have been told will have the DD EX label.

THX Surround EX: allows you to extract an extra channel, which is added in the mixing of some sound tracks using Dolby Digital Surround EX. This is the surround back channel which places sound behind the listener. Note that this mode will also work with some 5.1-channel material that is not specifically encoded for it, although how pleasing the result will be depends on the particular program. This unit has amplification for the back surround speakers as well.
I also heard a rumor that most rcvrs actually do this function and that they are changing the labels and not the guts. But who knows?

Also, I understand that the rear speakers are mono and it is really a 6 channel and not 7 channel set up.

So I would get the Onkyo 898 or wait 3 months for this stuff to settle out. 4802 is a pile of money to pay for something that may change this year/may not! I have the 3802 and it's fine for the next 6 years. Most DVDS that have 6 channel sound have both THX and ES discrete. The main thing I like about the Sony DA5ES is its 6 channel equalizer. Important feature!

EricK

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Dolby EX and THX EX are the same...however, previously (before Nov. 5, 2001) you had to buy a receiver or processor that was THX Ultra certified to get the benefits of the "real" THX(Dolby)EX....
THX Surround EX is available exclusively in selected components made by THX Ultra licensees. While other products may offer "6.1" channel decoding schemes, only components carrying the THX Surround EX designation can guarantee the following features and also assure adherence to uncompromising THX performance specifications.
(THX Website)
According to the THX Website - there are 31 dvd releases with EX encoding...http://www.thx.com/consumer_products/ex_dvd_titles.html
Eric.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
According to the THX Website - there are 31 dvd releases with EX encoding
Actually that list only includes the major studios (and me thinks THXs count is a little low).
Anyway, for the most up to date listing of EX/ES DVD releases for region 1 see this thread.
Troy

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Earl - is it necessary to post ALL of the information for these models? Would it be possible to get a LINK instead?.

Earl Simpson

Supporting Actor
Yea! I'm behind in my word count and the server is empty. I thought I would help fill it up again. Thanks guys for being nice. Great set of posts.
OK/ I put my post on a diet and exercise program. I wonder if my new Denon 3802 is DD EX? I heard they were!
:D
Ok/ My front pannel says D.D.S.C. digital What is that?

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
Earl,
I searched over Denon's site and here's what I see DDSC means:
DDSC - Digital, for High-quality Sound Reproduction
Featuring the Analog Devices SHARC 32-bit floating point DSP processor, DENON's DDSC-D circuitry faithfully recreates all the nuances of the original performance. Compared to ordinary 24-bit fixed point DSP processors, the Analog Devices SHARC 32-bit floating point DSP processor features greatly increased computational dynamic range for superior reproduction of stereo and multi-channel digital program sources.
I take this to mean - we sound better than the other boobs who don't have this :D
http://www.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/avr38023.pdf

james e m

Second Unit
Wow quite a number of posts. I think I have found out that Denon's version of Dolby DIgital EX is called something like "7.1 Widescreen" I can't quite remember how it was worded but that's what I was wondering, how that compared to the Dolby EX. I'm sure whenever they come out with the Denon 3803 or whatever it will have the "real" Dolby Digital EX.

james

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
On the 3802 you set the unit up in Matrix format for EX decoding. DD EX is the same as THX EX, but with THX you get THX post processing. I had a 3802, but moved up to a Pioneer 49TX. The pioneer does DD EX format w/o THX post processing in the mode called Standard+TX and then also THX EX also. I have a DD EX test disk and that is the easiest way to check all these DD EX formats.
Question: have you had a chance to see if you can discern an audio difference between DD EX and THX EX?

jdg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks