1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How does the Denon 3802 version of Dolby Digital EX compare to the real thing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Feb 26, 2002.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

As I understand it the 3802 does not have true Dolby EX decoding capabilities. I am assuming they use there own methods to decode Dolby Digital EX/THX EX because they state that the 3802 has "Dolby Digital decoding, including Matrix 6.1 decoding". My question is how does the Denon version compare to the "real" Dolby Digital EX/THX EX. I want to know because I am planing on buying a receiver that can decode 6.1 soundtracks (although I will be using 2 speakers instead of just the one) and I want a receiver that can really do a 6.1 soundtrack justice. Thanks for your input!

james

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Not sure about DD, but it is ES discrete capable, and has 7 channels of power (with 9 speaker configurable capability which seems like a great feature), so I would figure the EX is fine also. I'm not sure I understand the question, because I believe this receiver has the feature you are asking about. The 2802 does not have those two abilities, AFAIK.
    I felt this receiver has excellent HT ability.

3. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

No one besides the Beta testers of the Outlaw 950 would know since no other products have official DD EX.

The THX EX containes other post processing as well which is unnecesarry for the EX reproduction.

Having said that the 3802 is perfectly fine to decode EX signal,and it will recognise the imbeded "flag" as well.

The only reason it isn't have any logo is because licensing reasons.

4. Brian Treinen

Brian Treinen Stunt Coordinator

I spoke with Denon about this before I bought a 3802 about a week ago. The guy I talked to said that "everything" about their EX processing is the same as stuff out now labled DD-EX, it just "wasn't called that" when they put the receiver on the market and it sounded like they didn't want to fart around waiting to determine what it would be called etc. I imagine, as Lewis said that another part of it he didn't mention is that they didn't want to pony up the $$ to put the logo on the box.

5. John Garcia

John
    But they went to the trouble of getting the DTS ES DISCRETE logo on the box... Maybe Dolby wants a lot more?

6. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I want this receiver to be able to decode Dolby Digital EX movies the way that they were decoded in the theaters by Dolby. What I'm looking for is accuracy in the sense that I want this receiver to produce the same 6.1/7.1 sound on a smaller scale that I would hear in the theater. I hope that makes sense.

james

7. John Garcia

John
    Yes it makes sense. Be prepared to PAY for it though. Will you notice the difference? Probably not, but to each his own.

8. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

From what I have heard, all of these rcvrs do some form of EX that is EX as in EX. The real problem is getting a real 6.1(ES)discrete in a rcvr for a good price.

If you want THX you need to get an Onkyo upper end model or a JVC 10(which does not have ES discrete).

JVC 9 and 10 has EX

THX Ultra Certification

898 and 989 has both EX and ES discrete

THX Select Certification

Denon 4802 has both

THX Ultra Certification

As you noticed something in the Denon specs is a misprint or it's a new feature=THX EX Discrete 6.1 ??????

9. Earl Simpson

It appears that DD EX and THX EX are the same. All new rcvrs , I have been told will have the DD EX label.

10. matthew_d_H

matthew_d_H Auditioning

whew! i need a nap[​IMG]

11. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    Dolby EX and THX EX are the same...however, previously (before Nov. 5, 2001) you had to buy a receiver or processor that was THX Ultra certified to get the benefits of the "real" THX(Dolby)EX....

12. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric

13. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

14. John Garcia

John
    Earl - is it necessary to post ALL of the information for these models? Would it be possible to get a LINK instead?.

15. Brian Treinen

16. Earl Simpson

Yea! I'm behind in my word count and the server is empty. I thought I would help fill it up again. Thanks guys for being nice. Great set of posts.
    OK/ I put my post on a diet and exercise program. I wonder if my new Denon 3802 is DD EX? I heard they were!
    [​IMG]
    Ok/ My front pannel says D.D.S.C. digital What is that?

17. Brian Treinen

Earl,
    I searched over Denon's site and here's what I see DDSC means:
    DDSC - Digital, for High-quality Sound Reproduction
    Featuring the Analog Devices SHARC 32-bit floating point DSP processor, DENON's DDSC-D circuitry faithfully recreates all the nuances of the original performance. Compared to ordinary 24-bit fixed point DSP processors, the Analog Devices SHARC 32-bit floating point DSP processor features greatly increased computational dynamic range for superior reproduction of stereo and multi-channel digital program sources.
    I take this to mean - we sound better than the other boobs who don't have this [​IMG]
    http://www.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/avr38023.pdf

18. james e m

james e m Second Unit

Wow quite a number of posts. I think I have found out that Denon's version of Dolby DIgital EX is called something like "7.1 Widescreen" I can't quite remember how it was worded but that's what I was wondering, how that compared to the Dolby EX. I'm sure whenever they come out with the Denon 3803 or whatever it will have the "real" Dolby Digital EX.

james

19. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

20. Joe Greca

Joe Greca Stunt Coordinator

Does the 2802 do this "unofficial" DD-EX also, or just the DTS-ES?