How does the 1014 sound.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RyanJE, Mar 23, 2005.

1. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

Actually I have one. Ive only owned one set of speakers as I am relatively new to HT. I ask because Im looking at new speakers and dont want bright speakers if the amp is on the bright side. My ears arent trained well enough to tell the 1014's characteristics so I was looking for a general consensus.

2. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

The 1014 is very neutral, it will sound good with pretty much all speaker types.

3. Dick Boneske

Dick Boneske Stunt Coordinator

If your system sounds bright, it's most likely the speakers. Speakers add the most coloration to a system's sound by a wide margin. Modern amps have virtually no distortion and flat frequency response. If you don't believe this, try the speakers with another amp--a very simple test to see if they still sound bright.

The only possible way the 1014 would sound bright is if your speakers are very dead in the mid and high frequencies and you used MACC to equalize the system. The MACC would boost highs to the proper level, so the system would sound brighter than without MACC equalization. If that's the case, don't use MACC or custom set the frequency response after automatic MACC.