What's new

How does the .1 works? (1 Viewer)

AndreGB

Stunt Coordinator
Is it encoded by DD and DTS as any other channel? Or do these codecs use a special algorithm for it? What is encoded on the LFE channel, just low frequencies up to 80Hz? Are these low frequencies separated by the sound engineers during editing?

I also have a great question about the low frequencies on the other 5 channels. We can have frequencies as low as 100-150Hz on the "normal channels", don't we? So the receivers throw these frequencies to the speakers? Or they use a low-pass filter and throw these frequencies to the LFE channel (and consequently to the subwoofer)?

Thanks a lot. ;)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Band limited at 120hz by specs, but this is a brickwall filter so most roll off around 80. Yes, created by the mixing engineer as the soundtrack is being mixed.

All other channels are full range, capible of sounds low as 100hz and much lower. How your system routes this is a product of your settings (small speaker settings means bass is rerouted to the sub, large means they main speakers get full range signal).

-V

AndreGB

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, interesting Vince. So these settings for small/large speakers is done on the receiver, correct? Thanks a lot. ;)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Andre,

Welcome to the forum.

We have some basic information (well, lots of it actually) in our Primer on Home Theater, e.g. some info about the 5.1 concept:

What's that 5.1?
Do I need a sub?

Whenever you want to know something "basic", you can bet it's there!
Of course, nothing new for you now anymore :), because the article Chris referred you too has even more information on this subject.

Cees

AndreGB

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Cees. I've been reading this forum for quite some time now, but not posting much. I realised I have too much to learn. ;)

I know about the Primer on Home Theater and I think it is great. But I haven't read it all yet (you agree that's a lot of stuff, don't you?). Sorry for asking for something already in there. Nevertheless, the link Chris posted is just great. Thanks a lot you all. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks