how does philips 963sa sound as a cd player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lam Nguyen, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Lam Nguyen

Lam Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

I m thinking about upgrading my cd player and taking a plunge into SACD as well. I've read many positive reviews on the sony scd-c555es. Just wondering if the philips 963sa redbook cd quality is anywhere as good as the sony. My budget is $600. Any other recommendations welcome. Thanks.

System:
    Speakers: B&W cdm7nt fronts,B&W cnt,dm600,ASW650
    Amp: Rotel rmb 1075
    Preamp: H/K 510

2. Lam Nguyen

No one have used the Philips 963sa?

3. Eric A

Eric A Second Unit

I cannot speak for the 963 but I have the 962 and it sounds very good. I actually preferred the sound over the DACs in my HK-8000 when I had it. I understand that the 963 has upsampling and will convert redbook to 24/96 so it should be very good. I wish now that I had waited and purchased the 963. Good luck.

4. Doug Fogle

Doug Fogle Stunt Coordinator

Ihaven't heard the sony,but I can tell you I'm VERY happy with the 963 as cd player.I would definately not spend the extra money on the 555es without knowing for sure its better,but Id also be interested in any opinions from those that have heard both.(though its not really fair to the 963 because its also a very good dvd player)

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Doug, the 'C555ES is very difficult to track down now, but when it was readily available, authorized, discount mail-order dealers were selling it for around $600. I think you would have a difficult time finding it for that price now, especially through authorized dealers. Even Crutchfield and Tweeter stores near me are long sold out of the 'C555ES.

6. Doug Fogle

thanks Keith.I was surprised it ever got that low in price,to be honest.Hopefully.you will get a chance to hear the 963-I would be very interested in how you think it compares to the 555es.For me,the 963 is by far the best cd player I've ever heard,but I haven't had much exposure to higher end players-nearest sony es dealer is over 80 miles away and didn't have any es cd players in stock when I drove up.But even with my limited experience,I feel safe in saying you can't find anything close to the 963 without spending a lot more.(even at 600 the es is a third higher in price,and no dvd)But if the 555es is better it might be an upgrade for the future.(hope the wife doesn't read this)

7. Doug Fogle

oops,she just did.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Doug, I would like to give the '963SA a test, but at this time, I can't justify the purchase. I am happy with what I have, but if my DVD player dies ([​IMG]), then I suppose I would have no choice but to consider the '963SA as a replacement. [​IMG]

9. James RD

James RD Supporting Actor

Well, I've been meaning to post something about my '963SA so here goes:

Video - I'm not using this as my primary DVD player at this time. I also have a JVC XV-SA602SL that I'm very happy with. However, with very few adjustments, the PQ of the '963 is quite good. Not particularly user-friendly, though. I need to spend some more time to see if I like it as much as the JVC.

Audio - This is where the '963 really shines. When upsampling a redbook CD there is a definite increase in detail and clarity. Sounds easily as good, if not better, than my Cambridge Audio D500SE. So far I've only been listening to 2 channel SACDs and I'm very impressed. As many others have noted, there seems to be an air surrounding the various instruments and the separation is distinct. Describing how something sounds is difficult. But I know I really like the sound of this player.

I'm also interested in having the '963 modded if, and when,that service is available.

10. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

11. RandyMe

RandyMe Auditioning

From what I've seen on other forums, upgrading the power cord can substantially improve the bass.
    Also the light build is subject to vibration so some have used Dynamat, others use a weight.

12. Lam Nguyen

It's good to hear positives about the audio side of the 963sa, I was really hoping that it sounds good because this unit is affordable. Thanks.