How does one turn RG-6 into usefull stuff?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Krangel, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Jon Krangel

Jon Krangel Stunt Coordinator

Being the clever, but illogical thinker that I am, I decided that it would be MUCH more economical to buy 500 ft of RG-6 and then terminate it appropriateley and use it for audio, video, coax, bnc, and basically everything. My problem is - the only thing I know how to terminate it in is threaded F-type. This forced me to buy little F to RCA converters for each end of all 12 runs of RG-6 (carrying component video, audio, and such) and now it's not so economical anymore. Is there an easy way (read: easy, that means NO soldering :)) to terminate RG-6 in RCA or BNC connectors?

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

i assume you've bought the cable already...this is only an example but such products exist from other places too, such as Canare and no doubt others. To be truthful, I think you ought to invest in proper tools to do the stripping and crimping. Make some cables for your friends and get back some of the cost.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
  4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

5. Jon Krangel

Jon Krangel Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys - these are exactly what I was looking for. But damn! They are $$$ expensive $$$!!!

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Now you know the meaning of "what price glory". While you can try and get away without stripping/crimping tools, having them makes for a much more secure and properly made connection. But if you ever need to run a 40' rca for a sub, you'll find that might be your only choice.

7. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Parts express is a rip off if you ever want to return something

I bought alot of stuff from partsexpress in the past month. The products were fine but if you ever want to return anything, they'll screw you over. I did not see any 25% restocking fee on they're website, but it was written on the back of my reciept when I got the package. They over charge on shipping products, I bought a IEC plug for $17 and the shipping was $10!!! You have to pay for shipping both ways and take the 25% restocking fee. What a freaking scam.

8. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

I like to use the stuff at www.centerpin.com because it does not require "special" tools. Don't get me wrong, I have the special tools as well. I happened upon the centerpin stuff when I misplaced my crimpers and have never used them again.
    Just like you I have hundreds of extra coax sitting around and I have been know to use it to tie down stuff on my truck. [​IMG]
    I like Part Express.