1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How does one dispose of propane tanks ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alex-C, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

I "inherited" a couple of BBQ propane tanks from some in-laws during a couple of moves. Well, I dont want them, and they are empty (I think...they are about as light as a welded steel tank can get).

But apart from taking them to the landfill, what can be done ? Heck, I'd like to recycle them....hmmm.

I guess I will start dialing city phone numbers.

2. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Many grocery stores, gas stations and home improvement stores have a cylinder exchange program. Bring in your old empty cylinder and you get a discount on a filled one. Call and see if they'll take them even if you don't want a replacement.

3. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Because of a new Federal rule, all propane tanks without an OPD (overfill protection device) may no longer be refilled. See for example www.p2pays.org/news/press_releases/21302.asp although the law isn't state-specific. I've been told that Suburban Propane is accepting old style tanks for recycling.

4. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Take 'em to Home Depot. They'll probably credit you towards a newer style tank, if that's what you want. If not, I'm sure they'll be able to help you figure out what to do with 'em.

5. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

get it partially filled, take it to a gravel pit, stand waaaaaay back and fire off a couple of rounds at it.[​IMG]

6. Scott Van Dyke

Scott Van Dyke Supporting Actor

You can't refill it. That's the new law that Dennis was refering to. And by the way Einsteins, these "old" tanks are useless. Nobody is going to touch them without charging you a $5 fee for disposal. The new law went into effect April 1, 2002.

7. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

8. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    why don't you just put them out to the street on garbage day. Someone will pick them up. It always happens around my house. There are a couple of times that we can put anything and everything out to the street at no cost to us. We have a silly town that changes for extra garbage waste. But anyway, we do have a couple of "free" garbage days where everyone puts a million items out to the street. The garbage pickers all come around and rummage through your stuff. I had an old grill that someone took. Although I kept the propane tank. I like to have two. I keep one filled in the shed so I have a spare when I run out.

9. Alex-C

Alex-C Screenwriter

Problem solved...there is a creek by my house, I am just going to toss them in....
    [​IMG]
    Seriously, our county has a nice recycling center at the landfill and they take them...what they do with them, I have no idea but its a fairly big recycling center and I think they probably recycle them for scrap metal.

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    You guys are boring. Take'em out to the desert, strap a road flare to them, light flare, then run really, really fast, grab your rifle and shoot. All you have left is an empty tank to dispose of. Buy the way, the fire ball is right out of a Hollywood movie.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

11. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

That might be worth it for you Ron, but I'd be spending a shitload of time and gas driving out to the desert from where I am. [​IMG]

12. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Damn Ron, why didn't I think of a roadway flair? I was going to suggest a cutting torch, but them roadway flairs sound "safer".

If you wanted to get all Rube Goldberg, you could rig up something that struck the flare, and open the valve at the same time. Just stay far BEHIND the flame pillar. Enough gas and the thing will take off in the opposite direction.

13. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

This ariticle says that the OPD is National Fire Protection Agency Code. That doesn't mean it's a federal law. The states seem to be the ones that are enacting legislation regarding their refill. Does that mean you can still get them refilled in states that have not passed the new law yet ? OPD Article

14. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    From what I know these can be refilled in Pa. LOWES will take the tanks in the exchange thing..and I didn't see any premium paid when I swapped out an old tank.