What's new

How does one define "High level" and "Low level"? (1 Viewer)

MikaelG

Agent
Always wondered how one defines low level and high level? And I'm not talking about "well, low level is when you plug the signal through an RCA cable, and high level is an amplified signal which you carry with speaker cables".

I want a complete technical specification. ;)

PaulT

Supporting Actor
In a Receiver, Pre-outs / signal level generally make between 1 and 2V AC hence the term 'low level'.

Speaker level or 'high-level' outputs of the amplifier stage could be anywhere from 3V through 20+ V AC depending on the amplifier rating.

I don't know if you will find a specific technical definition for Hi-Fi or Home Theater, as low/high level in electronics could mean different things for many different applications.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
It's really POWER.

Power is current x voltage.

line-level signals carry almost no current which means no power (ok, in the mili-watt range: 0.001 watts).

But your speakers can be thought of as MOTORS (They convert electrical energy into mechanical). And it takes both voltage and current to do this.

DVD players, VCR's, CATV boxs, game systems, etc., provide signal, but not current. This is why nothing happens if you connect up a speaker to the RCA jacks on the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks