What's new

How does one define enouph? (1 Viewer)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I have been contemplating how far does one need to go with bass. I know it will be different with each individual and his or her reasoning will vary.>>$$$, extension, DB level, space, WAF, enough for me, a little is OK, I don't like subs or bass. Are you kidding?> There is no such thing as enough! Headroom, I want the quality of bass to be as good as it can be.----- I am sure I am not hitting all the reasoning out there which leads me to my question. What was your criteria for deciding your quest for bass was met or what would it take for it to be met? Any thoughts out there on this subject?

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
You take a hard look at your source material. Determine just how much bass is there, you might be surprised how little really low bass is there or vice versa. Then size your system accordingly. Personaly I use the 20-20 rule, I want my equipment to be able to reproduce it "if it is there" if not I dont want to hear it. I dont care for a "flat" response, I want the area below 100hz to be up about 2db from flat, same with the top, I want it to start rolling off around 10-12K and be down about 2-4db from there up. I dont want the old "Nerd Curve" but IMO a absolute ruler flat is a little hard sounding. I want my equipment to be capable of ruler flat response however.
As far as volume level goes there are standards but to each his own. I like the soft passages to be around 70db and let the dynamic range take you whereever it may, I mean a gunshot is load in reality (dont care to wear earplugs either)

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I think for most people, including myself, it will be how many of those can I get for my given budget. Who wouldn't want a sub capeable of everything if they had unlimited funds? I think most people want as much as they can get within reason for them (Usually money, but could be size or looks).

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Good to here your thoughts. Some informative some humorous. Mathew I remember once when I brought another sub into the house on a Friday after work.>>When my wife came home she had a fit! She then gave me a ultimatum. "That sub goes or I am taking off for the weekend". My reply was> Well Jody I guess I will see you Monday? She did not follow through and my new sub had to go to the den for like a month or so, not to be used:frowning: .
I have my subs calibrated +2db individually and I have more slam than what I can handle myself. I think I might pull it back some now with the latest sub addition. I think I will go with one more sub to replace my new one and use that sub on it's own when it is called for. I definitely do not need another sub but I think this would put me into bass nirvana? I guess I could play around and build one now and then just to be up to something with subs??
Guy it sounds like you have your bass down to a fine science. Maybe that's the direction I ought to go. Get a EQ and start learning how to put that to good use after my next purchase.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
How about dual long throw 12's to augment my mains plus a 15" sub with the largest current Xmax on the planet for everything below 50-60Hz? ;)

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Brian with your Know-How what's holding you back or is what you describe > your situation?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I do have to say mike I was pretty excited about the possibility of watching movies all weekend with my new sub. I think she figured this out though:frowning: I brought another one home just like it and stacked it a month after the den situation. She is still with me because I am such a nice guy otherwise?:D

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

I've already got the dual 12's with my mains stacked on top. I'm just waiting for the new 15" driver to arrive and then I'll veneer the enclosure that's been sitting around for over two weeks waiting on it.

I can't wait to get this monster built!

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

I've got ACI SV12 drivers each in a 3.4ft^3 sealed enclosure that also act as stands for my GR Research A/V-1+'s. I'm in the process of building a sub based on Adire's new 15" driver, the Tumult. It will be in a 2ft^3 sealed enclosure using double thickness MDF for an 18" external cube. I'll be finishing it in cherry to match my A/V-1+'s and will probably use a faux green marble finish on the top since this will be an end table. The Tumult will have an LT circuit so that I can get flat, anechoic response to around 25Hz with a Qtc=.6 and will be powering it with a Crown K2 amp.

Once it's done, my SV12's will be used as true stereo bass drivers (almost like a 3-way tower with my A/V-1+'s) and will be crossed over low to the Tumult. I'll need some sort of 3-way electronic crossover which has yet to be determined. I'll also have a BFD to tame bass peaks.

Plus, I just got my laptop yesterday along with some nice RTA software, so I'll be able to get much more accurate in room measurements compared to the Rat Shack meter.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Brian. What Amp do you plan on teaming up with the Tumult? I keep looking now and then expecting it to be out. Do you plan on 1250-1500 watts? It sounds like you are putting your best effort forward on your project.

Andrew Walbert

Stunt Coordinator
Enough:

* When your foundation develops new cracks every time you watch LOTR.

* When NORAD thinks there has been a nuclear detonation at your location due to the seismographic readings, yet all you did was turn on the subs.

* When in the middle of a cross-country trip, the wife asks you to turn down the radio in the car, only to realize that the radio is off, but you left your home theater on by accident.

* When the IASCA car show comes through town and asks you to turn down your subs because it is causing problems with calibrating their SPL meters.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Brian,

Since you are using the same driver that is in ACI's Titan II LE, how would you compare your DIY sub with the Titan II in terms of frequency response and output across that range?

Thanks,

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks