How does one become involved with making a dvd?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jake Johnson, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

If somebody (say, for instance, me) wanted to become a DVD producer, or work on creating DVD's for the studios, what would be the right steps to take? Companies to work for? Maybe Charles de Lauzirika could chime in on this?[​IMG]

2. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Dag, yo. I must pick really bad questions to ask. I never get any responses. its because I'm a Rubberhead! Isn't it!

3. Tom June

Tom June Agent

Actually, I think it's a good question. I always wondered how people got into that industry.

4. Todd Phillips

Todd Phillips Second Unit

Living in Los Angeles is a major plus.

5. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Seeing as I live in Oregon and attend college in Montana, I may have to make a location change if I want to work with dvd's.

6. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

Jake, I'm assuming you've gotten yourself a copy of DVD Discoveries. If not, go order one right this second.

7. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

yep absolutely great disc indeed

[​IMG]

8. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

I searched on www.dvdpricesearch.com for dvd discoveries and it turned up nothing. Where can I get this at, and what is on it?

9. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

I guess I'm more interested in the business side of being a dvd producer. How do you get paid? Do you get paid by the studio for your work, and then get any royalties?

10. DanC

DanC Stunt Coordinator

11. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Just bought it. Thanks for the tip.

12. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Does this disc tell me how to get into the business?

13. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

sounds like you're just interested in the money side of things (judging by your previous post). shouldn't a passion for film come above all else for it to show in the final product ? still, at least you're honest.

14. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

I'm not just interested in money. I love dvd's, that's why I belong to this site. I'm just curious about everything that has to do with making a dvd. I know a lot about how to make one and what makes a good dvd, but like film school, where I am at now, they teach you everything but how to get the job. Anything I can learn about how to get a job is what I'm really looking for.

15. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

I imagine working in the home video department of a studio is step 1.

16. Jake Johnson

Jake Johnson Second Unit

Yes, that would be a good place to start.

17. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Actually, sending your resume to their human recourses department would be a better step 1.

18. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

19. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

This is not true. Most, if not all companies employ people whose job is to read resumes, file them, and dig them up when certain positions become available.

You obviously have to say in a cover letter or on the resume the field you want to work in and why you're qualified for it, so in this DVD production.

20. Charles de Lauzirika

Insider

There are a variety of ways to get into DVD production, Jake. Most of the major DVD producers have been interviewed by most of the major DVD websites, so if you haven't already, you should read up on how everyone got into the business.

The good news for you is that DVD is booming more than ever and there is an insatiable demand for content. That means more work. That means more jobs. Also, and I could be wrong about this, but it seems to me that most of the established DVD producers are fighting for bigger budgets and more control over their work. I know I sure am. I've spoken to others who are. This makes cheap and easy service providers an attractive option to home video execs who don't want to lose sleep at night over a 12-disc Ulitmate Collector's Limited Edition of an obscure cult film.

The not-so-good news for you is, there are more and more one-stop shops popping up and the studios seem very interested in pumping product through these companies, which can handle everything from EPKs, to DVD supplements, to menu design, to compression and authoring. So it's possible that the days of independent DVD producers might be numbered to some degree. I, myself, have been in serious negotiations to unite with such a company.

So if you are extremely passionate about film, are well-versed in all aspects of filmmaking, have solid experience in post-production, can start out by working for almost nothing and haven't developed that prima donna complex yet, your next step would be to connect with some home video execs.

There are a variety of home video and DVD conferences and symposiums throughout the year. If you can get into some of those, attend some panel discussions and then schmooze the hell out of the guests, you might just make such a connection.

I'm guessing that would be the easiest way to become a DVD producer. Otherwise you could try landing a job with an established DVD producer and work your way up through the ranks, but that could take a few years. Or earn the trust of a major filmmaker and let them plug you in. I've heard that method could work for some people. [​IMG]

Having said all that, I'm the last person to be asking for advice on how to get into DVD production since I'm trying so hard to get out of it. If you love films and the craft of filmmaking so much, don't get into DVD. Go make a movie! (And then you can produce your own DVD.)

That's my plan, anyway...