How does new EVIL DEAD transfer compare to old???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Mack, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey Y'all!!
    Don't have any version yet and want the one with the BEST looking transfer! I have heard mixed reviews (DVD file...etc...) re: the new anamorphic one.
    Some say that the old anchor Bay looks better..
    Anyone have both now and how do they compare?
    Thanx!!!!
    D Mack

2. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

THey are about the same to me. If anything, I like the Anchor Bay by 1/1000th of a percent more. THe full-frame has just grown on me all these years and I feel "closer" to the action. Don't get me wrong, I'm a widescreen advocate, but this was filmed full-screen. Color wise, they are about the same. So, go between either the old Anchor Bay or BOTD, whichever you prefer for Aspect Ratio.

3. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    IMO the elite transfer has a brighter, edgier transfer. There is distracting pixilazation, and lots of dirt in the print. However, the picture is very vivid at times, with strong colors, and lots of detail.

The anchor bay transfer is free of all the above anomolies, but still suffers from the fact that the film was shot on a low budget. To me, the ANCHOR BAY TRANSFER IS SUPERIOR. It has a far more theatrical appearance, colors are more accurate, and there is minimal compression. Compare the opening title screen, the words THE EVIL DEAD appear against a gray, cloudy background. On the Elite transfer, the background is horrible with digital artifating. There is obvious artifacting around the letters. Most noticable is they way blacks are much more solid on the anchor bay transfer.

By comparison, the Elite transfer has a brighter, more washed out look, while the anchor bay transfer has a more deep, rich look.

When comparing the sound, the anchor bay mix wins hands down.

4. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I mean the ORIGINAL Anchor Bay transfer over Elite and the new Anchor Bay one.

5. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Hey Jeremy!
    I actually meant how the new Anchor Bay compares to the old Anchor Bay. I had always heard that the Elite wasn't produced disc-wise as well even though it was suppossedly the same transfer. Different compression, mastering etc....
    I am only considering the Full Frame vs. the anamorphic...
    I DO have a 16x9 set and I Ususally prefer anam. wide to FullFrame as a preference.
    Thanx!!!
    D

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

This new anamorphic transfer is the best it's ever looked. Considering that Sam Raimi wanted it framed at 1.78:1 for this release, and Bruce supervised personally, I'm pretty happy with the widescreen presentation.

7. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Thanx Jeff!!!
    Had it in my fingertips today and was SOOOOOO close!!!
    Just want to make sure!!!!!!
    [​IMG] Peace! D

8. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

I haven't picked up the Book of the Dead yet, but I do have the original Anchor Bay disc. I've always heard that it is a decent transfer, and by and large it does look good.

But -- early in the film when the big red truck is zooming at the camera, the Anchor Bay DVD has nasty purple pixels smearing all over the red engine hood. I just happened to have an Anchor Bay VHS copy of the same transfer. I popped that in, and the truck had a nice, solid red hood.

Of course the DVD is sharper, but the VHS actually has better color fidelity in that one scene at least. I suppose it could be a compression problem or something along those lines.

Has anybody else noticed the 'annoying purple pixels' on the old Anchor Bay disc?

9. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

I don't want to start another Evil Dead-thread, so I'm going to ask my question here:

Are there any plans for re-releases of Evil Dead 2 and/or Army of Darkness?

If not, which editions do I have to get?

I'm guessing the Anchor Bay LE tin for ED2, but I'm not sure about Army of Darkness.

10. Bryan_ZZ

Bryan_ZZ Stunt Coordinator

Go for the ED2 Tin and the Bootleg Edition for AOD.

Bryan

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    One semi-humorous difference between the new "Book of the Dead" edition and the previous Elite edition are the infamous "moon mattes". The difference in color timing between the two releases makes different matte shots more obvious than others. On the commentary, Bruce Campbell points out nearly every one, and at one point, just before Cheryl is molested by the trees, says that it is one of the less noticeable "moon mattes". While this was indeed the case on the Elite release, it is probably the most noticeable matte shot of all on the new release.

Regards,

12. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

If you're just interested in getting one disc of Army of Darkness, I would not recommend the bootleg edition -- the video quality is pretty horrendous, and the additional footage is a nice curiosity, but nothing that seems as integral as the extended versions of Almost Famous or The Professional. The bootleg edition is worth getting for the excellent commentary, but in every other respect, I prefer the theatrical disc.
    The Evil Dead II tin doesn't offer anything of real interest over the standard disc. The booklet looks mostly like unimpressive screen grabs from the movie, not production stills, and the text is lifted from an article in Fangoria that you could probably find online for free. I'm a fan of the way the tins look, but I don't think I'd go out of my way to get one at this stage. Either of the currently in-print Evil Dead II packages would be a great purchase, though.

13. Kai Zas

Kai Zas Second Unit

Thanks for the tips, Adam.

14. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

Argh, here in DK the new ED is on backorder. I want this disc now dammit! [​IMG]

15. rhett

rhett Supporting Actor

Best overall disc of the year in my opinion.

The transfer is definitely the best its ever looked, and it is great to finally see it in its correct ratio.

16. Bill Harris

Bill Harris Stunt Coordinator

As much as im not into fixing movies digitally, i wish Anchor Bay had fixed the moon mattes. Other than those , the transfer is really clean.

17. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

COOL! Thanx again guys!!!!
    This site rules!!!
    [​IMG] Peace ! D

18. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Personally I think the Elite SE disc has a much sharper picture without the harsh over contrasted pixilated transfer that I thought the original Anchor Bay no frills DVD had. By comparison ,IMO, the Elite disk has a much nicer "film like" transfer albeit with a good amount of grain and a few flecks of dirt every now & then (no worse than most Criterion DVD's) I don't see the horrible pixilations that another poster mentioned but I do think both of these transfers (new Anchor Bay or old Elite) offer a bit of a trade off as I felt that the new BOTD release was a bit too soft and just a hair too dark in some areas while being much cleaner and having slightly better black level.
    Also the elite disc's photo gallery is much more complete.........yeah I know that's a silly point to make but what the hell.[​IMG]
    Your best bet IMO is to buy both SE's while you still can.

19. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

I finally got around to watching the "Book of the dead" version the other day, and I too, noticed that the picture was VERY dark in some scenes. Hmmm...I have everything calibrated with Video Essentials, but this was darker than any DVD I've seen.

Also, why did they have to "Matt" it at 1.85:1? Why couldn't they have gone with 1.66:1 instead? I feel like too much of the picture was matted off. For example...The "guess the card" sequence was WAY too matted. Most of the time, the card's top or bottom gets chopped off by the black bars. In another scene, you don't see the box of band-aids, on the floor because of the black bars.

Don't get me wrong, I love widescreen, but this was a full screen movie, now matted WAY TOOO MUCH in my opinion.

20. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for the Elite disc having the best overall presentation. The original AB is too harsh looking and the BotD is way too washed out. Not to mention some of the bad framing from the tilt-and-scan method -- i.e. when Linda examines the necklace Ash gives her, the BotD version makes the subject of the frame her crotch instead of the necklace! And then there's the missing Band-Aid box fiasco as well!
    The original AB release was way too bright, so the BotD deserves some praise for trying to portray the look of the film more accurately. But it just looks softer and murkier than the Elite overall. Black levels are much nicer on the latter, and those pesky moon mattes are alot easier on the eyes.
    Fanalysis is cool, as is the packaging -- but I can't honestly say that I'll ever watch that version of the film again. I'll reach for the Elite every time!