How does Mitsu xxx13 handle 4:3 material?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Scott*B, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Scott*B

Scott*B Stunt Coordinator

Here's my question. If my 65313 is feed a 4:3 source what does it do with it? Stretch it to fit the screen? Reason I'm asking is the stretching done by my E86 D* receiver is pretty bad. If I set it to output 4:3 w/ black bars at 1080i output mode the only option my TV has to stretch is HD Expand. I have experimented setting my E86 up like I have a 4:3 TV to see what happens. If I'm correct my E86 is then just feeding the SD material straight to the TV with no formatting. My TV however is displaying the image stretched but it seems to be a much better stretch being done than the E86's stretch mode. Anyone got insight into this? I'm gonna leave my E86 set to 4:3 mode for now since it looks better but I'd like to know exactly what's happening to cause the difference. Thanks in advance.

2. Eric Hahn

Eric Hahn Agent

you might try hooking up the reciever to the svideo of a different input as well, watch hd through the component, then when you want to watch sd, 4:3 switch to the other input( kinda a pain)but you will then have all the stretch modes that you set offers.( if your reciever outputs both at the same time)

I have found my 413's stretch pretty good, but you are right the expand for hd although a good thing to have , it is not good for watching alot of sd..

let me know if I can help.

3. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I use S-video for SD channels with my 55313. I use one of the SD stretch modes or the Narrow mode (gray bars). I've seen what watching a 4x3 program in HD mode does to a TV after a year. My uncle's widescreen has some nasy burn in from the black bars.