1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How does HK avr325 handle dvd-audio?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Whitney B., Feb 18, 2003.

1. Whitney B.

Whitney B. Auditioning

I am thinking of selling my Nakamichi av8 and getting an avr 325. I would love to buy something else from Nakamichi but it doesn't look like they are building anything new anymore. After I have the new receiver I will buy a dvd-audio sacd player. Please let me know how the 325 handles it.
    thanks

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Do you mean how in terms of a review? Or in terms of connection?

I can't give you a review of how the unit sounds, but since DVD-A and SACD don't output via a digital cable, you must use 6 separate analog cables hooked into the pre-ins on the HK. I'm sure the HK is a nice unit though.

3. Whitney B.

Whitney B. Auditioning

In terms of the connection. I know it will connect up to it but I don't know if it will handle the signal without downmixing it or compressing it. I have never seen anything mentioned with this model in reference to dvd-audio or sacd. I know it isn't a feature that HK lists. I am still a newbie and don't know much about the frequency range for the d/a converters. I just want to know if this unit will be able to hook up to a dvd-audio or sacd enabled player and play the music without downmixing it or compressing it.
    thanks

4. TimTurtino

TimTurtino Stunt Coordinator

It doesn't have pre-ins (not really), but it does have a set of 8 analog inputs that are essentially unfiltered on the way through the amplifiers (the 325 doesn't even allow the option of doing bass mgmt on those inputs, unlike its big brother, the 525).

So, Whitney, the answer is yes. Take care,

Me