How does DVD-Audio and SACD stack up against DD and DTS?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott Burke, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Second Unit

Scott B.
    I apologize if this has been asked before, but I did run a search and could not find anything.

I noticed that DVD-Audio discs also have a DD track on them. I have also seen the DTS audio discs. How do these sound when compared with the high resolution audio formats for music? I was just curious which was "technically" better since sound is arbitrary.

I think I posted this in the wrong area, sorry, please move if necessary.

2. Jon_W

Jon_W Stunt Coordinator

The high res tracks are the whole reason to have DVD-Audio mate, so yes it is superior to the DD and DTS tracks. DTS and DD are highly compressed formats where as DVD-Audio uses merdian lossless technology to aviod compress. I believe that is the jist of it. Someone more inclined can fill in the gaps , hopefully, lol

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    SACD and DVD-Audio absolutely obliterate DTS and Dolby Digital. There's nothing like listening to your favourite balls-to-the-wall Dolby Digital or DTS movie soundtrack followed by a good high-res SACD or DVD-Audio recording to smack you back to reality. The difference is tremendous and does the lossy formats (DTS, Dolby Digital) no favours at all. I try to avoid listening to both in the same sitting.

Adam