How Does Best Buy Stay in Business?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evan S, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Listen, I know Best Buy bashing has been the rage on this forum and I usually don't chime in on this matter because I realize most BB employees are just kids trying to make a buck or save some money on music or stereo equipment but I had an interesting occurance today at BB after reading the Toshiba 4800/Panny RP-82 thread kicking around.

I thought the Toshiba fit the bill for what I was looking for in my next player so I wanted to see what BB was selling it for as well as check out the build quality and see if it had a coaxial digital output (it does). Actually, it looked like a winner.

As I was looking at it, a BB employee (about a 18 year old girl) came up to me. This was the interaction...

BB: "Looking at the Toshiba".
    Me: "Yeah, just looking around."
    BB: "Do you have a high definition TV?"
    Me: "No, not yet."
    BB: "Are you planning to get one within a month of buying this player?"
    Me: "No, I won't be going HDTV until early or mid 2003, after I buy my house. Not sure if I'm going to go with a big screen TV, or get a projector and screen."
    BB: "Well, then you shouldn't consider this player as it puts out a progressive scanned picture that will not work well with your regular, non HDTV set. We've had a lot of returns with progressive scan players from people like yourself without the proper equipement."
    Me: "You do know that every progressive scan player can also output an interlaced signal, right?"
    BB: (stands there dumbfounded)
    Me: "See this switch on the back of the player that has P/I? All you do is switch it over to I to output an interlaced signal so you can use it with regular TV's...or if you have an enternal line doubler or plan to use your TV's doubler."
    BB: "Wow, I was told to NEVER sell a progressive scan unit to anyone without HDTV. How do you know so much?"
    Me: "It's kinda my thing. I love this stuff."

Now listen, I can understand when a BB employee doesn't know the latest about scaling or zoom features or the difference between anamorphic or non-anamorphic. However, when they tell sales associates NOT to sell a product to people who can still use it, they really shoot themselves in the foot. It was almost comical.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Evan, why am I not surprised? It would be comical if it weren't so sad. I go back to my old premise: Never go to Best Buy looking for information. Do your research here or on similar web sites or by reading magazines, then go to Best Buy when you know what you want. The same goes for Circuit City.

3. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

I've had similar experiences with Best Buy. I found one knowledgeable local sales rep who had a vast amount of knowledge about electronics.
    However, it was a temporary job for him as he was in the process of finishing his degree in electrical engineering. As we know, BB most of the time is staffed with transitory employees who work there because it fits their lifestyle for the moment.
    Keith hits the nail AGAIN [​IMG] with his analogy. I would add not only with Circuit City and Best Buy, but any purchase you make. As we all know, an educated consumer can be dangerous!!! Many do not take the time to do research and find the best product/value for your money.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Charles, thanks. It certainly pays to do research regardless of where you are buying, but it is possible to get good information at some stores. However, it is extremely rare to do so at Best Buy and Circuit City. I have gotten good information at a couple of my local high-end dealers. The drawback is that I have to wade through biases and snobby attitudes from time to time. [​IMG]

5. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

heh,
    Your Doctor, Lawyer, Mechanic, Stereo salemen. These are the four folks you should have a life long, personable relationship with. [​IMG]
    You wouldn't want to go to "Best Doctor", or "Lawyer fur cheap" or "Hope your breaks work mechanic". same for stereo gear.
    Yes, I'm a little twisted. I woulda put stereo salesmen first.

6. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

7. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

They don't want knowledgable staff. I went to CC in search of a part time job while in school and they didn't hire me. I was 22 and have been into audio at the hobby level since 8th grade. I also had a year of experience at Niles Audio Corp testing amplifiers, intellicontrol, etc. They told me to go ____ myself.

-rob

8. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

It's true. Best Buy and CC want people who are good liars...err salespeople. People who rely on these people for advice and information are kidding themselves.

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I was in BB last week, and they had big placards stating "Digital Light Projection" tacked atop the price cards in front of at least half the HD-ready rptvs in the store, none of which were DLP based sets!

10. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

I used to work at BB and I agree with your comments the reason I never went to the audio department was because I didn't know everything about it but I would be great for it now. I had one experience with their stupidity once I came looking for Dvd-A discs because I saw I sign talking about Dvd-A, and just like the DLP thing they didn't have any players when I asked one of they employees they didn't know what I was talking about so I showed them where I saw it and then he was dumbfounded only thing he could think of was HDCD so again BB is talking about technology they don't even carry. That DLP thing might could be classified under false advertisement but probably not. BB employees don't need to be trained that much because the majority of people know nothing about HT and don't really care that much the people that do don't normally shop their because the they know the stuff they sell there is not really high tech it's mid-tech. They don't carry Marantz, Denon, Pioneer Elite, Rotel, etc..., because that's not their target people group. If they were the target group then they'd have to spend money on training which having worked there can tell you BB is very stingy and really hate to lose money no matter what they have to do as long as they don't break the law like Wal-Mart they will be total assholes if they have to and won't trust anyone not even the General Manager. I bet the majority of the people on this forum that consider themselves HT enthuasists don't shop BB for gear they go to the high end shops that's if their budgets can afford it.

Daniel Smith

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Charles said:

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I was under the impression that many progressive scan DVD players have an inferior interlaced output than true interlaced players. Is this not true?

13. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

"Inferior interlaced"? Interlaced is inferior, how can it not be worse. "True interlaced" hahahaaa, it's like saying my old burner has a True 2x recording and the newer TDK 32x's 2x recording is inferior. Give me a break!

14. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

16. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Philip,

Great points. However, if the BB employee was correct on this one instance, I feel it was more by luck than anything else. If she didn't even know that the player could output an interlaced signal, she surely wouldn't know how that same interlaced signal compared to the progressive. For someone who may use the unit for only 6 months in interlaced mode before switching to progressive, buying a straight interlaced player right now is not smart for me. Also, I cannot see how the Toshiba 4800 would be inferior in interlaced mode than my Sony 330, which I feel is a very weak player in all aspects of movie reproduction, as well as being a buggy unit. I could use my Microsoft X-Box for movie reproduction in interlaced mode, but don't want to add extra wear and tear on a primarily gaming machine.

17. Brian D Scott

Brian D Scott Stunt Coordinator

I was at Best Buy a few weeks ago when I noticed a man trying to buy a TV. After listening to what the salesman told him, I took him to the side and actually asked him questions like "What are you going to use it for?", "Where will it be located?", "How far away will you be sitting?", etc. After my questioning, he realized that he didn't have nearly enough info to buy the right set - he didn't even know about DTV or HDTV.

Two weeks ago I see him again at a higher end (think Tweeter or Ultimate) store with the same dilemma! Once he sees me, he stops talking to the salesman and says "You guys oughtta hire this guy - he knows his stuff!" The salesman was taken aback as the guy talked to me and asked my opinion about the stuff in the store!

Here's the funny part. After the guys leaves (and no, he didn't buy a set!), the salesman turns to me and says "You know, I could kick you out of the store right now. Don't tell customers about products we don't carry... blah, blah, blah." I said OK, sorry about that, and was asking the salesman some questions. Five minutes later he says "Oh, you don't work for Best Buy?" I told him no, I'm just a very well-educated consumer who knows his hobby. This guy thought I worked at Best Buy 'cause that where I saw the guy who wanted the TV! He apologized big time, and I actually came away teaching him some stuff and giving him advice!!!!

18. Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman Second Unit

Hello all. I actually used to work for Best Buy in the video department. One thing is for sure, no one else there besides myself and one guy that used to work in a high end store knew what they were talking about. As for the emplpoyee not knowing about interlaced outs, I'm not suprised. Bascially when one starts at Best Buy, he or she gets a huge training book that "tries" to explain home theatre to just anybody. In many ways, it does a good job, but of course no one is going to read the entire thing, especially an 18 year old who has a summer job at Best Buy. I remember when I brought in some laserdiscs to see how good some of the line doublers were on our HD Monitors, employees were baffled as to what they were.

Aaron Garman

19. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

20. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor