How does Amazon's fluctuating Pre-Order Pricing work?

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by MarkHastings, Sep 25, 2003.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I usually don't come to this section of thread so hopefully I'm in the right place to post this.

I've always kept a Wish List through Amazon when buying DVD's, but as of late I've been adding the price changes in the comments section. The thing I find odd is the fact that the pre-orders constantly change in price.

Example: I added "The Italian Job" into my Wish List on August 22 and put down the price of $22.49, since then it has gone down to $20.99. I haven't pre-ordered it yet, but let's say the price doesn't change from the $20.99. If I pre-ordered the DVD when it was $22.49, would I be charged that price when it ships? or will I get charged the current $20.99 price?

I assume I would get the lower price, but what about this situation...

I added Christmas Vacation (SE) to my list in July and I put down that it was going for $11.24, but now it is up to $13.99 and it hasn't been released yet.

With this scenario, if I had pre-ordered it when the price was $11.24, would I be held to that price or would I get charged the $13.99 when it is released?

Crazy Stuff!

2. Luke_Lemmings

Luke_Lemmings Stunt Coordinator

From what I understand the price which you pre order at is the price you pay.

Whatever changes happen before or after has no affect of the price you pay when it ships.

3. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Though lately they have dropped pre-order prices to market prices... dropped my Scarface preorder from 45-41.

4. Arnie G

Arnie G Supporting Actor

I've read on their site that if you pre-order something & the price goes down, you are charged the new lower price.[​IMG]

5. MarkHastings

I seem to recall pre-ordering something and when I recieved it, the actual price on the reciept was lower. This is definitely a good thing, but that's really not my main concern. I really want to know if you pre-order the item and the price goes up before it's released...do you get charged the original higher price?

That would SUCK!

6. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    No, they can't do that. They can lower it, and technically that could be called a breach of contract. However, since they are LOWERING the price, most people wouldn't complain. But to raise it would be unethical and in most cases, illegal.

7. MarkHastings

8. Matthew^Johnson

They lowered my pre-order on Tokyo Story from 27$ to 25$. However, if there is a content change (more extra features are added, etc.-- like what will probably happen with my preorder for The Lower Depths), I think they can up the price since the item you pre-ordered essentially does not exist any more.

9. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

If you order from Amazon frequently you should check out the "Share the Love" (STL) forum at DVDTalk. 10% off everything you can find someone to STL with, and that is easily done. I know it doesn't sound like much but buy a few boxed sets and it quickly adds up.

10. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Yup, with share the love (STL) and free shipping on orders over $25, Amazon is quickly becoming my pre-order choice.

11. Luke_Lemmings

Luke_Lemmings Stunt Coordinator

Does STL work on AMAZON.CA as well or is that only on AMAZON.COM ??

12. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor