How does a subwoofer fits into a system these days?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

If I buy a receiver like the Marantz SR 7200, how do I ensure that my subwoofer is playing the low bass frequencies, both those of LFE channel and the plain old low bass of stereo CD's. Do I have to switch stuff around? This doesn't make sense. From some posts here, it sounds like when you set your mains to SMALL and connect your sub to the LFE, you might not get the sub reproducing the bass from stereo CD sources?
    I'm confused. How does it work?

2. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

in the rcvr you set "sub" to yes, this directs LFE to it. if you have limited range fronts, ie, not full range, you set "mains" to small and this directs freqs below the crossover point, that would normally be sent to the mains, to the sub along with the LFE. in the case of stereo, where there is no LFE, just the mains bass is sent to the sub. the rest of the speaker settings work similarly.
    [Edited last by Craig Robertson on July 15, 2001 at 03:58 PM]

3. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

On my receiver it is necessary to set the sub to "yes" in surround mode and in stereo mode independently. The Marantz may be different but I get the feeling that this is typical for receivers.
    ------------------
    "The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
    my home theater - updated 6/16/01 with SVSubwoofer pics
    my DVD collection

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Thanks for the advice guys. So I guess I should wait until I get the receiver and do my best to match it to the sub.
    I was just worried that using the LFE would mean no bass during stereo. I know it sounds like a paranoid conclusion, but I know someone mentioned that happening to them on their setup. perhaps that is not the case any longer with newer receivers.
    What do you guys have in your system in terms of receiver and sub and how do you have them set up?

5. Dan_D

Dan_D Stunt Coordinator

I have a Onkyo DS484 and the sub plays great from my stereo CD player
    ------------------

6. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

I have the SR-8000 and for stereo listening the sub out is turned off in "direct" mode. I can choose to turn direct off and that will enable the sub out. The "direct" mode bypasses internal processing and passes the straight 2 channel signal on to the speakers.
    I don't have a sub yet so I haven't had chance to play with this but I have read some threads by other Marantz owners that felt direct mode gave a better sound. So they ended up setting sub to no, mains to large and using the front L/R pre-outs. This allowed them to have the sub in use for movies and music in direct mode. Depending on exactly what you do with the pre-out signal you have a greater control for setting the sub xover. My Marantz will xo at 100hz.

7. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i'm using seperates, an Acurus ACT-3 pre/pro to an ATI AT1505 power amp, and a Velodyne HGS-18 for the sub. my speaker system is an M&K 150 thx, so i set my mains to small to send the bass to the sub, along with the LFE.