How does a 12 volt trigger work?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil_S, May 25, 2002.

1. Neil_S

Neil_S Stunt Coordinator

How does the 12 volt trigger on audio equipment work? When my receiver is turned on does it output a constant 12 volts to my amplifier to signaling for it to be on? Then when I turn the receiver off the 12 volts are then shut off?

I am making a component rack that fits under my stairs. There is a big unused area just waiting to be exploited. I would like to add a bit more air-flow through the area and I was wondering if this would work...

Most computer case fans are 12vdc. What if I placed this on the 12 volt trigger between my receiver and amp? When I turned the system on the fan would come on providing some heat exhausting...

Anyone think this would work?

Thanks,

Neil

2. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit

I have seen some 115 V fans for pro audio use. They look just like computer fans. I was thinking about running a couple of them from the switched AC outlet on my receiver. It might be easier to just use the 115 V fans then buying a DC trigger and computer fans. I think Parts Express sells the AC fans for around $20 a piece. I hope this helps.

Ryan

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Yeah I wouldn't use the trigger line to power fans, that just sounds looney [​IMG]
    You could buy a very cheap computer power source that plugs into the wall and then hook up as many panaflo L1As or other 22db silent fans as you like.
    Or you could buy the AC fans which IMO are loud. Another option would be to use variable resistors or "rheostats" to control the RPM of your fans. This is easy to do with computer fans but might get more costly/dangerous with the AC fan.

4. ChrisJJ

ChrisJJ Agent

Does anyone have an answer to the first question Niel_S asked?

I have an amp that is triggerable, but a reciever that has no trigger plug. It's a Sherbourn 5/1500 and the back panel labels the trigger plug as 3-30v. Can I plug a wall wort into the reciever to trigger the amp on and off?

Thanks for the help.

Chris

5. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Neil,
    Lke Chris said, don't use the trigger out to directly power the fan. The output simply does not put out enough current. Suggest AC fan on the switched outlet.

ChrisJJ,

wall wort???

Never heard that one before. But if you are talking about a 12V plug in transformer then yes. Find one with a modest rating (I'd suggest 500mA unless otherwise noted on the amp), clip off the plug and do what needs to be done to adapt the amp. Plug the trans into a switched AC outlet on the receiver and voila', a 12V trigger.

Bill

6. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

To answer Neil's first question:
    My Rotel receiver has a 'mini' jack that is 12VDC switched. I ran a cable from the 12v jack to a box that has a relay that is picked by 5-30VDC, which then supplies 120VAC out. I have my sub-woofer and powered FM antenna plugged into the relay box. The stuff turns on and off with the receiver.
    I bought the AC1 controlled AC outlet from Xantech. Hope that answers the question. You might also want to check out this thread.

7. ChrisJJ

ChrisJJ Agent

Thanks! I just canabalized a transformer and some headphones and now have a nicely switched amp! [​IMG]
    I love this place!
    Chris