What's new

How do you watch non-anamorphic dvds? (1 Viewer)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure I fully understand the question.

Regardless of whether a dvd is anamorphic or not, I watch it in it's OAR. For many older films, this means I get black bars on the sides. For most films with OARs from 1.66 to 1.85, I can't see black bars, due to overscan. And with OAR's above 1.85, I have black bars on the top and bottom.

As far as mode on my tv, I run my dvds through a scaler, so I always can get the proper aspect ratio with the 'Full mode' on the tv, even for non-anamorphic dvds.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My DVD player, a Panasonic RP-91, scales non-anamorphic widescreen titles of 1.85:1 or wider to properly fit my 16x9 screen, so there is no windowboxing or picture cropping. For 1.66:1 non-anamorphic, I am forced to watch with both window and letterboxing to preserve the content.

I really hate 1.66:1 non-anamorphic transfers. :angry:

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I use theatertek to stretch the height so it fills my 113" 16:9 screen in the correct proportions

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
My Mitsubishi 55" has a vertical stretch mode that seems to work perfectly for non-anamorphic DVDs as well as broadcast widescreen programs.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Zoomed (except for foreign movies where subtitles in the black bar area will be cut off)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, this is the worst case scenario: A non-anamorphic transfer of a 2.35:1 foreign language film.

Chushingura (Image Entertainment) and Andrei Rublev (Criterion) are instantly come to mind. Both were decent efforts back in the early days, but we really, really, really need 5-star anamorphic edition of these two masterpieces - especially Rublev - as soon as possible.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
My Malata 996 will scale a DVD by minute increments to properly fit in a 16X9 screen. No problem at all with 1.66 non-anamorphic transfers. This not only works to zoom in non-anamorphic titles, but it can also be used to zoom out anamorphic ones to compensate for overscan.

The results are excellent.

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertigofilmfanman
Recent bookmarks