1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you watch bonus materials?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JamieF, Aug 15, 2004.

1. JamieF

JamieF Auditioning

Being fairly new to TV on DVD, I've been tempted to watch the bonus materials first sometimes.

I was wondering if anyone does this or is it just wrong to do that?[​IMG]

2. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

You generally shouldn't watch them until you've seen at least the whole season as they tend to give away things you haven't seen yet or spoilers for future seasons (Buffy, Twin Peaks) I'd advise you not to watch any before you've watched the entire season.

3. JamieF

JamieF Auditioning

I understand about that.

I guess I should have been more specific. I was talking in reference to 'older' shows, shows from the 80's and 90's. That sorta thing.

4. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I generally don't watch special features unless I'm completely caught up on a show. Buffy Season 2 taught me that as it's full of people talking about the events of season 3.

Is it safe to watch the Babylon 5 features if I haven't seen the whole series?

5. MaraKM

MaraKM Stunt Coordinator

If it's a show I'm already familiar with, I'll watch the bonus material first. The extras are the big selling point for me, so they're what I want to see first. I don't really make blind-buys for tv, but, if it was a blind, I'd definitely skip the bonus material until I'd watched all the episodes and done some checking online as to the extent of the spoilage.

No, Dan, you should skip them until you're through. If you can't resist...as I recall, the featurettes tend to stay pretty much focused on the season in question, as do jms' commentaries. But the cast commentaries are all over the place.

6. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    How do I watch bonus materials?

Turn on entire HT system, pop disc into player, select "bonus" and press "enter"...

Oh, sorry. [​IMG] I think it depends. If I'm already quite familiar with the main feature, I sometimes do go straight to the retrospective docs or making-of features, but if I've never seen the main feature, or haven't seen it in a while, then really that should be viewed first, to avoid spoilers. At least IMHO.

Case in point, DS9. I've never seen it before DVD (never broadcast here). Upon finishing each season, I'll then go through the bonus materials in that set, but I still avoid the so-called "crew dossier" featurette since reviews warn that these featurettes discuss events in subsequent seasons as well, so I'm avoiding them until I've finished all 7 seasons. West Wing, on the other hand, was broadcast here, so when I first got S1 and 2 I was happy to have a look at the bonus material straightaway.

7. Mike_Craft

Mike_Craft Stunt Coordinator

I dont watch special features... some are too boring and the ones that are good are never good enough to warrent my time on a special feature when I could be wathing a different DVD.

I think im alone on the whole thing... but IMO I wish they would forget special features for TV DVD and DVD and just release the movies/shows faster and at a cheeper price.

if It wernt for commentaries and special features...We would have every season of the simpsons on DVD right now and I could watch my favorite Episodes in Qood quality video/sound and whenever I wanted. [​IMG]

8. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

The sets I buy, I've usually seen most of them so I'll go to the bonus features first. Like the Batman Anmimated set. I had these on tape for years so the documentary was the most compelling part.

On the other hand I'm currently watching Millenium through Netflix. I've never seen any of these and I'm very glad all the extras are saved for the final disc.

9. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I always wait until I've finished watching the episodes before I watch the bonus material. Many times, it makes me want to watch a set all that much faster. Take "The Flintstoens" for example. I was chomping at the bit to check out the "Flagstones" pilot and all of commercials & show bumpers, but I insisted that I watch the episodes first. Needless to say, I finished all 28 episodes in a day in a half, at which point I tossed in the bonus materials. I buy the sets initially for the episodes. The "bonus" features are simply just that.........a bonus.

10. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Just like with movies, watch the bonus features last, or else everything may be ruined! I used to watch trailers and televison spots before the actual feature and I would get all of the gags ruined... Which can be a bummer.

Ryan

11. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I agree with those who say to leave the bonus stuff for the end. I just finished watching SCTV and I wished they had put all of the bonus stuff on a separate disc instead of spreading them out over all 5.

The thing was, I watched the "Remembering John Candy" piece, which was on disc 3 (I believe) and it showed clips that were on discs 4 and 5. This being a blind buy (pretty much since I don't remember most of these shows), it kind of took a lot of the fun out the skits when I saw them later on.

12. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I watch the Futurama commentaries first even before the episodes themselves, because I love those tracks and I've seen the episodes before. But, on the other hand I've watched the Dick Van Dyke Show episodes first before watching any of the bonus material and I had seen all of those previously as well, so for me it really depends.

Although to be perfectly honest about it, I don't watch a lot of special features on TV season sets at all, and they're certainly not why I'd buy the sets, I'd still buy Futurama without the commentaries even though I love to listen to them.