1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

How do you use Dayton gold banana plugs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

These were recommended to me and so I bought some for my 12 gauge speaker wire. They are the screw set type. Can someone tell me how to use them? Do I put the speaker wire in, pull it partway out through one of the holes at the top of it, and then put that little metal pellet type thing back in and screw the bottom back on? Here is a link to the type I got: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...091-1165&Did=7
    If anyone can help that would be great. It doesn't show the holes on either side that are at the top in the picture though.

2. MarkS

MarkS Agent

These look alot like the AR banana plugs I currently have (which I hate BTW).
    They are actually two pieces. The wire comes through the bottom piece which is essentially a gold plated metal tube. You cut back to the bare speaker wire about 1/4" to 1/2". The wire is then "frayed" around the top of this tube and the top piece screws down over the top of it. Obviously you have to make sure that no extra bare wire is showing after you screw it down.
    The issue I have with these are that the surface area which the plug is in contact with the speaker wire...well there is not that much contact.
    I am upgrading mine to a better set-screw style which will have better surface contact (my friend Brett D. may tell you that these are not "sealed", but that's a different thread):
    KnuKonceptz Banana Plugs

3. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Mark,
    They are not sealed... [​IMG] heh
    (I just had to say it!)

4. MarkS

MarkS Agent

There is always one in the forum...

Brett I am actually still considering your offer on speaker cables. I would prefer to use better cable than SoundKing (no argument it is a bargain) and better connectors than Radio Scrap, I mean Shack.

I still am warm on the 8 or 10-gauge KnuKonceptz cables and I do not know what the next step up is for gold-plated crimp style bananas...I would be willing to pay the diff for the upgrades.

What do you say?

-mbs

5. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Mark,

I honestly beleive that using the Knu Concepts wire over

the SK wire will net you no gain but if you want me to

make you a set of wires with the Knu 10awg I certainly

could do that. As for termination options. Aside from

RS Banana's or something from Partsexpress you don't

have many other options without drasticly increasing

the price.

I could make you the cables with WBT connectors but

then the prices I quoted you via email wouldn't even

pay for the WBT's (which are $80.00 per 4!)

I betcha I could solder the KNU wire onto the KNU Banana's

without a problem..

It's up to you... You can save some money if you do them

yourself. Do you have the equipment to solder? Shoot me

an email we can talk more in depth that way.

6. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

7. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

8. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

LOL. ya beat me by a minute....

9. Steve Gazi

Steve Gazi Stunt Coordinator

I need to order some connectors. I only need these for the L, R and C channels, right? From the looks of the VR-507 receiver I'm getting the two rear surrounds use those spring-loaded connectors.

10. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

I already have the banana plugs, but want to make sure that I connect them the right way. They don't come with instructions of any type.

11. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

Allen,

the plugs they linked you to are different, and imo, excellent. I simply clamp the wire (no screwdriver needed) and then use clear heat shrink to make sure none short. These are a great bargain, and are bullet-proof!

Vince

12. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I'm resurrecting this thread because no one ever answered the question on how to connect these banana plugs...they only suggested easier ones!
    Well, I don't have the easier ones. I have these: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...091-1165&Did=7
    They are in two parts: The sleeve and the plug piece that screws into the sleeve. The plug piece actually has two very small holes with miniature screws in them (that I presume are unscrewed and then screwed back in at some point to crimp/hold the speaker wire?).
    Honestly, I'm stumped. Does the wire go into the back hole of the plug and gets held down by the two crimp screws? Why are there two screws/holes at different points of the plug body? Does the wire go into one of these miniature holes? Out of one? Does the sleeve do anything but hold the plug part? I guess not...which means no wire contact with the sleeve (which I guess doesn't matter since the sleeve does not plug into anything.
    Any help? Anyone figure these out? I'm not sending them back to partsexpress. I just want to figure these out.
    Thanks-

13. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

The ones I bought(8 awg 091-1260) Are so large you can put the wire through the back or side. They are designed to stick the wire through the side and screw down on the wire. But you could take a 12/or 10 awg and put it in the stack on hole in the threaded top machined screw, bend the wire with a short 90 at the end and then tighten it down on the wire. This might work better for some rcvrs which do not have much side to side space. I just figured that out as a possibility. I will probably do it that way, since I prefer my wires sticking straight out the back(unlimited rear space behind the rcvr).

PS/ these are gold plated and built very well

14. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    bump...still wondering [​IMG]

15. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Get the ones in my post. Several of us have. That part number that you linked does not give a wire size for the plug. You can call parts express and ask them if it will take 12awg and how it screws down. I'm sure you unscrew the top and stick the wire in zee hole and crank it down. I don't like that method. But hey, it might work for you. Go for it![​IMG]